Manchester United back on track after Fernandes inspires Wolves rout

Portuguese midfielder Bruno Fernandes shoots from the penalty spot to score Manchester United’s fourth goal during their English Premier League football match against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 December 2025
Follow

Manchester United back on track after Fernandes inspires Wolves rout

  • With Amorim growing increasingly tetchy in recent weeks, it was essential that sixth-placed United avoided an embarrassing result against bottom of the table Wolves as they moved within one point of the top four
  • Wolves have just two points after 15 games and if they fail to win either of their next two against Arsenal and Brentford they will equal Sheffield United’s longest winless start in the Premier League of 17 matches

WOLVERHAMPTON: Ruben Amorim said Manchester United had “improved a lot” after they climbed back into the race to qualify for the Champions League as Bruno Fernandes inspired a 4-1 rout of woeful Wolves on Monday.

Amorim’s side recovered from their disappointing draw with lowly West Ham last week thanks to Fernandes’ double and goals from Bryan Mbeumo and Mason Mount at Molineux.

Jean-Ricner Bellegarde had canceled out Fernandes’ opener with Wolves’ first goal in six games in all competitions and their first in the top-flight since October 26.

But Mbeumo, Mount and Fernandes netted after the interval to clinch only United’s second win in their last six matches.

United suffered an embarrassing 1-0 home loss to 10-man Everton on Nov. 24 and 10 days later boos greeted the final whistle following a 1-1 draw with West Ham at Old Trafford.

With Amorim growing increasingly tetchy in recent weeks, it was essential that sixth-placed United avoided an embarrassing result against bottom of the table Wolves as they moved within one point of the top four.

“I really enjoyed how we played the second half. We had good pace, good quality in the decisions. We finished the game and Wolves is in a difficult moment. It was a good evening,” Amorim said.

“We had some games against teams in better moments and had many shots. We need to improve the quality of the shots. We need to focus not just on scoring but protecting our goal.

“I think we improved a lot. If you compare last season and this season we are creating so much more chances and scoring more goals and having more real situations of danger, so I’m really pleased with that.”

Wolves’ eighth successive league defeat equalled their worst top-flight run since 1981-82 and left boss Rob Edwards still waiting for his first victory since arriving from Middlesbrough to replace the sacked Vitor Pereira in November.

Wolves have just two points after 15 games and if they fail to win either of their next two against Arsenal and Brentford they will equal Sheffield United’s longest winless start in the Premier League of 17 matches.

Derby’s Premier League record low of just 11 points in a single season is also under threat from dismal Wolves.

Perfect response

Diogo Dalot should have put United ahead in the opening moments when he raced clean through on goal, but the defender’s tame shot was palmed away by Wolves keeper Sam Johnstone.

Hundreds of angry Wolves fans boycotted the opening 15 minutes to protest against owners Fosun and executive chairman Jeff Shi.

When they returned to their seats, the Wolves supporters saw their former forward Matheus Cunha have a shot blocked before United took the lead in the 25th minute.

It was a shambolic goal in keeping with Wolves’ wretched campaign.

Andre’s wayward back-pass was intercepted by Cunha and when he flicked the ball to Fernandes, the Portugal midfielder initially slipped over before recovering to poke a weak shot that somehow evaded Johnstone as it crept over the line.

As boos rained down from furious Wolves supporters, United went for the kill and Cunha’s strike was cleared off the line by Toti.

United’s focus briefly wavered and Wolves snatched their long-awaited goal in first half stoppage-time.

Amorim’s men couldn’t clear a succession of crosses and David Moller Wolfe’s pass was turned in at full-stretch by Bellegarde from 12 yards.

But United provided the perfect response in the 51st minute.

A flowing move cut through the Wolves defense as Mount’s pass found Dalot and his unselfish cutback allowed Mbeumo to slot into the empty net.

In the 62nd minute, Mount timed his run perfectly to meet Fernandes’ cross with an emphatic volley from six yards.

Fernandes’ fourth goal this season put the seal on a one-sided contest as he stroked home an 82nd minute penalty after Yerson Mosquera handled.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.