Pakistan offloads three passengers bound for Saudi Arabia, UAE over forged documents

Passengers wait outside at Jinnah International airport after all domestic and international flights were cancelled in Karachi on May 7, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 December 2025
Follow

Pakistan offloads three passengers bound for Saudi Arabia, UAE over forged documents

  • The passengers at Karachi airport were found carrying fake visas, a driver’s license and residency papers
  • Pakistan has arrested over 1,700 human smugglers, reported a 47 percent drop in illegal immigration to Europe

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Tuesday said it offloaded three passengers at Karachi airport who were attempting to travel to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on forged documents.

The development is part of the continued crackdown undertaken by Pakistani authorities on illegal immigration and human smuggling. Pakistan reported a 47 percent drop in illegal immigration to Europe this year, with more than 1,700 human smugglers arrested.

The country intensified action against illegal migration in 2023 after hundreds of people, including its own nationals, lost their lives while trying to cross the Mediterranean to reach European shores in an overcrowded vessel that sank off the Greek coast.

“The passengers were identified as Aamir, Ali Hussain, and Ijaz,” the FIA spokesperson said in a statement.

“The passengers have been handed over to the FIA Anti-Human Trafficking Circle, Karachi, for further legal action.”

The FIA added that Aamir was attempting to travel to the UAE on a visit visa using a fake Ukrainian resident card he paid Rs1 million ($3,571) to obtain.

Hussain was traveling to Saudi Arabia on a work permit using a fake driving license he paid a huge sum of money for, it continued.

The agency added Ijaz was also traveling to Saudi Arabia with a fake Qatari visa on his passport for which he paid Rs300,000 ($1,071).

The issue of illegal immigration and its consequences have gained significant attention in Pakistan following the arrest of several Pakistani and foreign nationals at airports with forged documents in recent years.

In September, the FIA released a list of more than 100 of the country’s “most wanted” human smugglers and identified major trafficking hubs across the country’s most populous Punjab province and Islamabad.

Earlier in December, Pakistan announced it would roll out an Artificial Intelligence-based immigration screening system in Islamabad from January next year to detect forged travel documents and prevent illegal departures.


Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

  • The Hundred is England’s domestic white-ball cricket tournament featuring eight franchise teams
  • Media reports say Indian-owned franchises may overlook Pakistani players at next month’s auction

KANDY: England captain Harry Brook said Saturday that it would be “a shame” if Pakistani players were shut out of England’s domestic white-ball Hundred competition by Indian-owned franchises.

Former England skipper Michael Vaughan on Friday urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on BBC reports that Pakistani players will be “overlooked” in the player auction next month.

Ahead of England’s opening Super Eights clash against Sri Lanka in Kandy on Sunday, Brook — who will play for Indian-owned Sunrisers Leeds in the Hundred this year — was asked about the issue.

“Our main focus now is what’s coming up in the T20 World Cup. It’s not really any of our business, to be honest,” said Brook.

“But what I would say is Pakistan have been a great cricket nation for many years.”

Long-standing political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events.

Their Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

“I think there’s about 50, 60 players in the auction, and it would be a shame to not see some of them in there,” said Brook.

“There’s some amazing cricketers and, yeah, and they bring some great crowds as well.

“So it would be a shame to not see some of the Pakistan players in there and make the tournament and competition even better.”

The newly renamed Sunrisers Leeds is owned by Indian conglomerate Sun Group, one of four of the eight Hundred franchises with connections to the Indian Premier League.

The others are Manchester Super Giants, Southern Brave and MI London.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League since 2009.

The ECB has been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan referred to the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country.

“The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen,” Vaughan posted on X.

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.