ICC takes Libyan war crimes suspect into custody

A general view of the exterior of the International Criminal Court is seen in The Hague, Netherlands, March 12, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 02 December 2025
Follow

ICC takes Libyan war crimes suspect into custody

  • El Hishri faces charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity during his alleged time as a senior official at the prison, where “thousands were detained for long periods,” the ICC said

THE HAGUE: The International Criminal Court said Monday it had taken into custody a Libyan militia leader suspected of overseeing murder, torture, and rape at the notorious Mitiga prison near Tripoli.
The court said that Khaled Mohamed Ali El Hishri, arrested in Germany in July, was now in the ICC detention center in The Hague to await his first appearance before judges.
El Hishri faces charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity during his alleged time as a senior official at the prison, where “thousands were detained for long periods,” the ICC said.
An initial appearance will be scheduled in due course for El Hishri, the court said in a statement.
According to Der Spiegel magazine, he was arrested at Berlin airport in July as he attempted to fly to Tunis.
He remained in German custody while legal proceedings were being completed.
Oil-rich Libya is still grappling with the aftermath of the armed conflict and political chaos that followed the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that toppled long-time dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
The country remains divided between a United Nations-recognized government in the west and its eastern rival, backed by military commander Khalifa Haftar.
 

 


Saudi intervention ends Socotra power crisis

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi intervention ends Socotra power crisis

  • Sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems
  • Saudi engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities

ADEN: Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen said that its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said that the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said that the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped to provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said that critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping to curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say that sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.