ICC chief says US sanctions won’t change court’s handling of cases

This photograph taken on March 14, 2025 shows the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 December 2025
Follow

ICC chief says US sanctions won’t change court’s handling of cases

  • President Donald Trump’s administration slapped targeted sanctions on nine ICC officials
  • The sanctions were in retaliation for investigations into suspected Israeli war crimes

THE HAGUE: The president of the International Criminal Court said on Monday US sanctions imposed on senior court officials disrupt their personal lives but vowed the institution would not yield to outside pressure.
President Donald Trump’s administration slapped targeted sanctions on nine ICC officials, including prosecutors and judges, earlier this year in retaliation for investigations into suspected Israeli war crimes. Sources have said Washington is also mulling sanctions against the entire court.
“We never accept any kind of pressure from anyone on issues of interpretation of the statutory framework and adjudication of cases,” Judge Tomoko Akane said on the first day of the annual meeting in The Hague of the court’s governing body, made up of representatives of its 125 member states.
Akane said the sanctions had unsettled the family lives of targeted officials and disrupted their financial transactions, even in ICC member states in Europe.
The sanctions freeze any US assets the individuals may have and essentially cut them off from the US financial system, with which almost all internationally operating banks have close ties.
The ICC has issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, as well as figures from the Palestinian Hamas militant group, for alleged crimes committed during the Gaza war. They have all denied the charges mentioned in the warrants.
Washington has previously targeted court officials with sanctions for their roles in those cases and in a separate investigation into suspected crimes in Afghanistan, which initially had examined actions by US troops.
The ICC was founded in 2002 under a treaty giving it jurisdiction to prosecute genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes that were either committed by a citizen of a member state or had taken place on a member state’s territory.


Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

  • Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected
  • Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries

COPENHAGEN: Norway is relocating some of the around 60 soldiers it has in the Middle East to Norway as well as to other countries in the region on security grounds, a spokesperson for the Norwegian armed forces ⁠said on Friday.
US ⁠President Donald Trump warned Iran on Thursday it must make a deal over its nuclear program or “really bad things” will happen, setting a deadline of 10 ⁠to 15 days, drawing a threat from Tehran to retaliate against US bases in the region if attacked.
Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected.
“These are soldiers who have jobs like training local forces and other missions,” Lt. Col. Vegard Finberg from ⁠the Norwegian ⁠Joint Headquarters told Reuters.
“The way the situation is now, it’s not possible for them to do their primary tasks, and that’s why we are relocating them,” he said, adding other nations had made similar moves in recent days.
Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries.