Malaysia PM faces electoral setback as allies fall in Sabah state polls

Malaysia's Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim speaks as he attends a business and investment conference, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 30 November 2025
Follow

Malaysia PM faces electoral setback as allies fall in Sabah state polls

  • Anwar’s Pakatan Harapan coalition won just one of the 20 seats it contested in Sabah, down from the seven it held previously in the eastern state on Borneo island

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim’s allies were trounced in a regional election, results showed on Sunday, a grim first electoral test for the leader after three years in office.
Anwar’s Pakatan Harapan coalition won just one of the 20 seats it contested in Sabah, down from the seven it held previously in the eastern state on Borneo island.
“The Sabah election outcome shows Anwar’s coalition lost badly,” said Lee Kuok Tiung, an associate professor and political analyst at Universiti Malaysia.
Saturday’s election was the first of a series of regional polls that will test Anwar’s support ahead of national elections due by early 2028 in the Southeast Asian nation.
Despite PH’s setback, Gabungan Rakyat Sabah — a coalition of state-based parties aligned with Anwar’s ruling bloc — retained control of Sabah, one of Malaysia’s largest and poorest states. GRS faced pressure over its ties to Anwar’s coalition as sentiment grows for greater state autonomy.
Anwar congratulated GRS leader Hajjiji Noor on his reappointment as Sabah chief minister, saying the federal government “fully respects the strong and clear message” of the state’s voters.
“They are demanding real change after being faced with injustice and neglect by almost all parties,” Anwar said on social media on Sunday. He did not address the drubbing his PH allies had taken. His office declined to comment.
Lee said Sabah voters valued regional-based parties, greater autonomy and improvements to basic water, electricity and road infrastructure. Anwar needs to understand local sentiment and review the government’s progress on earlier promises, he said.
A minister from Sabah resigned from Anwar’s cabinet this month after a Sabah court ruled in October that the federal government had unlawfully failed to honor an agreement it reached with the state more than 50 years ago.
Under the agreement, Sabah was entitled to 40 percent of federal revenue derived from the state. Anwar said on Sunday his administration has worked to resolve Sabah’s claims and would continue to assist the state.
Anwar was appointed prime minister in November 2022 after joining forces with some opposing parties to form a government after an election that resulted in a hung parliament.


X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

  • The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering," Netblocks said
  • Spokespeople for X did not respond to request for comment on the outage before service was restored

Service was restored to Elon Musk-owned social network X Monday afternoon after it had failed to show posts to users in many countries.

The site was displaying content, allowing users to post and otherwise functioning normally again around 1530 GMT, after the Down Detector tracking website reported a spike in outage reports around two hours before.

X had appeared to be suffering "international outages," connectivity monitor Netblocks posted on the open-source social network Mastodon during the disruption.

The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering", added Netblocks, which regularly flags technical issues with popular online services and sites as well as interference by national governments.

Its most recent posts about similar outages for X came on February 9, the day after the Super Bowl in the US, and February 1.

AFP journalists in countries including France and Thailand had also been unable to access X on Monday afternoon.

Spokespeople for X did not respond to AFP's request for comment on the outage before service was restored.

Musk laid off thousands of people at the former Twitter and changed its name after buying the service in 2022.

He has since merged it with his xAI company, which develops the Grok chatbot.

xAI is set to in turn be absorbed by Musk's rocket firm SpaceX, with that merged entity expected to go public as early as summer this year.