ARMERO: Martha Lucía López released the boat into the river alongside hundreds of others with the faces of missing children, in one last attempt to find her son, or rather, to pray that he would find her.
Her son, Sergio Melendro, was one of hundreds of children reported missing when a volcanic eruption devastated the Colombian town Armero on Nov. 13, 1985, and whose whereabouts remains unknown.
“The only option we have is for them, the people who adopted them, to tell the true story and for them (the children) to come to us,” the 67-year-old said.
Approximately 25,000 perished when the Nevado del Ruiz volcano erupted, making it the deadliest natural disaster in Colombia’s recent history and leaving the town in central-western Colombia uninhabited. The ensuing chaos led many children to be separated from their families, who keep searching for them 40 years later.
Losing Sergio
On the night of the eruption, López and her husband heard strange noises and left the house to see if something was wrong. She had heard on the news that the volcano was erupting, but left Sergio, 5 years old at the time, sleeping at home because she thought they were far enough away.
But soon the lava melted the volcano’s snow-capped peak and merged with the riverbeds, generating an avalanche that rushed down the mountains. The river overcame López and her husband, overturning their car and causing them to take refuge in a tree and then house.
Their house was destroyed, and she never saw Sergio again.
Years later, López learned her family had shared Sergio’s name in an ad on TV, and received information that he was at the Colombian Institute of Family Welfare (ICBF), the agency responsible for protecting children in the country.
López says that her sister tried to find him at the institute’s headquarters in Bogotá. “They never let her in… they asked her to bring clothes and photos proving she was family, nothing more.”
Years later, a friend of López’s told her that in New Orleans, a man approached her and said that his brother had adopted a child who was a victim of the Armero tragedy.
“He showed her a photo… Sergio’s eyes were unmistakable,” she says, referring to their blue color. However, they were never able to contact him again.
What happened to the children
Some children were taken by the ICBF, others were sent to nearby villages and others were never seen again, according to organizations tracking the issue and Ancizar Giraldo, who was 12 years old when the volcano erupted.
Giraldo spent almost four years at a social center funded with international donations until his mother found him using the photographs released by the ICBF.
The Armando Armero Foundation, a civil society organization, has documented 580 missing children, 71 of whom were reportedly adopted. So far, they have found four of them alive after collecting DNA samples.
“There is no single modus operandi. You can’t just say, ‘the children were stolen solely by the ICBF,’ there are many ways. Civilians even went to Armero right after the tragedy and saw children, took them home, and welcomed them with affection,” said the foundation’s director Francisco González. Others were sent to other parts of Colombia and beyond, he said.
Forty years ago, without the same access to information as today, families searched in person at shelters and ICBF offices.
Adriana Velásquez, deputy director general of the ICBF, explained to the AP that after the tragedy they received at least 170 children from Armero, according to the records they have found. She stated that they are investigating how many were given up for adoption, since at that time it was a decision made by the courts.
For many years, the families’ hopes rested on the ICBF’s “red book,” named for its red cover, which contains records of some of the children from Armero. This book was declassified in October, but is not a complete record of all the children reported missing or disappeared, Velásquez noted.
Despite the challenges, after four decades, families refuse to abandon their search.
“It’s been 40 years of hope,” said Benjamín Herrera, father of Óscar Fernando, who was 14 months old at the time of the tragedy. “And we will wait as long as it takes.”
Parents search for children missing since a volcanic eruption in Colombia 40 years ago
https://arab.news/nwx64
Parents search for children missing since a volcanic eruption in Colombia 40 years ago
- Some children were taken by the ICBF, others were sent to nearby villages and others were never seen again, according to organizations tracking the issue
Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast: Suspected Islamist militants attacked an army unit in northern Burkina Faso Sunday, the latest in a series of alleged jihadist attacks that have killed at least 10 people in four days, security sources told AFP.
The west African country, ruled by a military junta since a 2022 coup, has been plagued with violence from militants allied to Al-Qaeda or the Daesh group for more than a decade.
Social media has been awash with speculation that the spate of attacks may have killed dozens of soldiers, but AFP has been unable to independently verify those claims.
The junta, which seized power on the promise to crack down on the violence, has ceased to communicate on jihadist attacks.
On Sunday, militants carried out a major attack on a military detachment in the northern town of Nare, two security sources told AFP.
The previous day, the Burkinabe army’s unit in the northern city of Titao was “targeted by a group of several hundred terrorists,” one of the sources said.
While the source did not give a death toll for either attack, they said part of the military base in Titao had been destroyed.
The interior minister of Ghana, which borders Burkina Faso to the south, said the government had “received disturbing information from Burkina Faso of a truck carrying tomato traders from Ghana which was caught in a terrorist attack in Titao.”
Jihadist ‘coordination’
According to the same security source, another army base in Tandjari, in the east of the country, was also attacked Saturday, and several officers killed.
“This series of attacks is not a coincidence,” the source said. “There seems to be coordination among the jihadists.”
A separate security source told AFP that a “terrorist group attacked the (military) detachment in Bilanga,” in the east of the country, on Thursday.
“Much of the detachment was ransacked,” the source said, giving a toll of “about 10 deaths” among the soldiers and civilian volunteers fighting alongside the army.
A local source confirmed the attack, adding there was damage in the town of Bilanga, and that the assailants had stayed at the scene until the following day.
Despite the junta’s vow to restore security, Burkina Faso remains caught in a spiral of violence.
According to conflict monitor ACLED, the unrest has killed tens of thousands of civilians and soldiers since 2015 — and more than half of those deaths have come in the past three years.










