CAIRO: Intensified fighting in central Sudan displaced some 2,000 people over the past three days, the U.N. migration agency said Monday, the latest in a war that has convulsed the country for more than two years and killed tens of thousands.
The International Organization for Migration said the displaced fled from several towns and villages in the area of Bara in North Kordofan province between Friday and Sunday.
Kordofan has been one of two areas, along with the western Darfur region, that recently became the epicenter of the war between the Sudanese army and its rival paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, or RSF.
Attacks in recent weeks in Darfur, where the RSF captured the key city of el-Fasher left hundreds dead and forced tens of thousands to flee to overcrowded camps to escape reported atrocities by the paramilitary force, according to aid groups and U.N. officials.
The war between the RSF and the military began in 2023, when tensions erupted between the two former allies that were meant to oversee a democratic transition after a 2019 uprising. The fighting has killed at least 40,000 people, according to the World Health Organization, and displaced 12 million. However, aid groups say the true death toll could be many times higher.
In late October, RSF fighters launched attacks in the town of Bara in North Kordofan, killing at least 47 people, including women and children, Sudan Doctors Network said at the time.
People in North Kordofan have been fleeing from several villages and towns, including Bara, Sheikhan, ArRahad, Um Rawaba, Um Siala and Sakra, with an estimated 38,990 people fleeing between Oct. 26 and Nov. 9, according to the IOM.
The displaced were mostly headed north, toward the Sudanese capital of Khartoum and the adjacent Omdurman region, and the area of Sheikan in North Kordofan.
Also Monday, the RSF claimed its fighters arrived in the town of Babanusa in West Kordofan province “in huge numbers” and were making their way toward the army headquarters in the town since the previous day.
Salah Semsaya, a volunteer with the local initiative Emergency Response Rooms, told The Associated Press that other volunteers from the town of Babanusa working with charity kitchens in the area reported a decline in the number of families coming to get food — apparently an indication that many had left or fled the area. Definitive figures could not be confirmed.
Darfur atrocities
In Darfur meanwhile, Sudan Doctors Network reported on Sunday that the RSF collected hundreds of bodies from street in the city of el-Fasher and buried some in mass graves while burning others .
The paramilitary forces were acting in a “desperate attempt to conceal evidence of their crimes against civilians,” the network said.
Previously, satellite images analyzed on Friday appeared to show the RSF disposing of bodies after they seized and rampaged through el-Fasher. Images by the Colorado-based firm Vantor show a fire at the Saudi hospital in el-Fasher on Thursday, near a collection of white objects seen days earlier in other Vantor photos.
The Yale School of Public Health’s Humanitarian Research Lab described the images as showing the “burning of objects that may be consistent with bodies.”
Intense fighting in central Sudan displaces 2,000 people in just days, a UN agency says
https://arab.news/bnzfh
Intense fighting in central Sudan displaces 2,000 people in just days, a UN agency says
- The International Organization for Migration said the displaced fled from several towns and villages in the area of Bara in North Kordofan province
UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.
“We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.
The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.
Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures. The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.










