BRUSSELS: The European Union on Friday said it would deny Russians multi-entry visas as security fears rise nearly four years into the war on Ukraine.
“Starting a war and expecting to move freely in Europe is hard to justify,” EU foreign affairs chief Kaja Kallas wrote on X.
“The EU is tightening visa rules for Russian nationals amid continued drone disruptions and sabotage on European soil.”
The visa curbs come as fears have risen over the threat of Russian “hybrid warfare” in the EU after air space incursions and unexplained drone sightings in numerous countries.
Brussels said that from now on Russian nationals “will have to apply for a new visa each time they plan to travel to the EU, allowing for close and frequent scrutiny of applicants to mitigate any potential security risk.”
It said there will be “exceptions for justified cases such as independent journalists and human rights defenders” under the new rules.
The bloc already tightened controls on travel by Russian diplomats stationed in the 27 EU countries in new sanctions last month.
Hawkish EU countries have long pushed for tougher visa limits on ordinary Russians, arguing they should not be able to travel freely for tourism while the war rages in Ukraine.
The EU in 2022 suspended its visa facilitation agreement with Russia and has told member states to “deprioritize” visas for Russians.
Brussels says the number of visas issued to Russians fell from more than four million before the war to some 500,000 in 2023.
But EU diplomats said the the number of approvals has begun to rise again.
Tourist hotspots France, Spain and Italy are among countries providing the most visas.
While proponents of tougher measures insist ordinary Russians should feel more impact from the war, the Kremlin’s opponents have urged the bloc not to cut them off from Europe.
Opposition figurehead Yulia Navalnaya said in September that broad restrictions would be a “serious mistake” as they would feed the Kremlin’s narrative that Europe is hostile to all Russians.
She urged the EU to instead keep targeting the elite close to President Vladimir Putin to try to pressure the Russian leader, who has ruthlessly stamped out any opposition at home.
“For the purpose of achieving peace in Europe it is counterproductive to assist Russian authorities in isolating Russian society,” Navalnaya wrote in a letter Kallas.
EU restricts visas for Russian nationals over Ukraine war
https://arab.news/9dcq9
EU restricts visas for Russian nationals over Ukraine war
- Brussels said that from now on Russian nationals “will have to apply for a new visa each time they plan to travel to the EU, allowing for close and frequent scrutiny of applicants to mitigate any potential security risk”
X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors
- The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering," Netblocks said
- Spokespeople for X did not respond to request for comment on the outage before service was restored
Service was restored to Elon Musk-owned social network X Monday afternoon after it had failed to show posts to users in many countries.
The site was displaying content, allowing users to post and otherwise functioning normally again around 1530 GMT, after the Down Detector tracking website reported a spike in outage reports around two hours before.
X had appeared to be suffering "international outages," connectivity monitor Netblocks posted on the open-source social network Mastodon during the disruption.
The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering", added Netblocks, which regularly flags technical issues with popular online services and sites as well as interference by national governments.
Its most recent posts about similar outages for X came on February 9, the day after the Super Bowl in the US, and February 1.
AFP journalists in countries including France and Thailand had also been unable to access X on Monday afternoon.
Spokespeople for X did not respond to AFP's request for comment on the outage before service was restored.
Musk laid off thousands of people at the former Twitter and changed its name after buying the service in 2022.
He has since merged it with his xAI company, which develops the Grok chatbot.
xAI is set to in turn be absorbed by Musk's rocket firm SpaceX, with that merged entity expected to go public as early as summer this year.










