UK deports migrant back to France again after he returned on small boat

Shabana Mahmood said the returned migrant had been detected by biometrics and detained instantly. (Getty Images)
Short Url
Updated 05 November 2025
Follow

UK deports migrant back to France again after he returned on small boat

  • UK Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood: ‘His case was expedited, and now he has been removed again’
  • So-called one-in-one-out scheme has been heavily criticized by migrants’ rights groups as unfair

LONDON: A Channel migrant who re-entered Britain by small boat after being removed to France under a new migration deal was deported again on Wednesday, the UK government said.
The asylum seeker, reportedly from Iran, was sent to France on September 19 — the third removal under the so-called one-in-one-out agreement struck by London and Paris — but then returned on October 18.
The Guardian reported the man had intended to seek asylum in Britain on the basis he was a victim of a human trafficking network operated by smugglers in northern France.
Interior minister Shabana Mahmood said in a statement Wednesday he had been detected by biometrics and detained instantly.
“His case was expedited, and now he has been removed again,” she added.
“Anyone looking to return to the UK after being removed under the UK-France agreement is wasting their time and money... if you try to return to the UK you will be sent back.”
The case was an embarrassing setback for the scheme aimed at deterring the tens of thousands of migrants arriving on small boats each year on the shores of southeast England.
Agreed by UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron, it came into force in September and enables Britain to deport some of the arrivals deemed not to have a right to stay.
In return, London will accept an equal number of migrants from France who are likely to have their asylum claim granted, giving priority to nationalities most vulnerable to smugglers and those with ties in Britain.
So far, 94 migrants have been removed from the UK under the treaty, while 57 have arrived through the official channel, according to the interior ministry.
The scheme has been heavily criticized by migrants’ rights groups as unfair, while Starmer’s domestic political opponents have branded it a gimmick and ineffectual.
Nearly 37,000 migrants have arrived in Britain after crossing the Channel on small boats so far this year, surpassing the total for 2024.
That means 2025 is on course to be the second highest year for the crossings, lower than the record 45,774 arrivals in 2022.


North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

  • Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
  • Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje

SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.