Turkiye’s Erdogan heralds ‘new phase’ in PKK peace process

A man holds a Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) flag and shouts slogans during a rally against the visit of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in 2018 in Rome. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 November 2025
Follow

Turkiye’s Erdogan heralds ‘new phase’ in PKK peace process

  • The comments could hint at possible engagement with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan, who has been jailed since 1999
  • Ocalan has played a key role urging his militant group to disarm and dissolve, steps it announced earlier this year

ANKARA: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday that Turkiye had entered a “new phase” in efforts to end Kurdish militant violence and signaled he was open to the idea of jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan addressing lawmakers.

Erdogan said he held “very constructive” talks last week with senior pro-Kurdish DEM Party leaders – who have urged the idea of Ocalan addressing a parliamentary commission on PKK disarmament – and he urged all actors to contribute.

“It appears we have reached a new crossroads on the path toward a Turkiye free of terrorism,” Erdogan told his ruling AK Party lawmakers. “Everyone needs to step up and do their part.”

“We consider it extremely valuable that ... all relevant parties are heard without leaving anyone out, and that different opinions — even if contrary — are expressed,” he said.

The comments could hint at possible engagement with Ocalan, who has been jailed since 1999 but has played a key role urging his militant Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) to disarm and dissolve, steps it announced earlier this year.

DEM has said the commission, on which it sits with other parties, should be allowed to engage Ocalan in prison given he remains central to Kurdish public opinion and was involved in previous peace efforts.

Erdogan’s government has not confirmed any such step.

The PKK launched its insurgency in 1984. A previous peace initiative collapsed in 2015, unleashing renewed bloodshed in Turkiye’s southeast. The government has not publicly detailed the framework of the current effort.

Erdogan’s comments came a day after his nationalist ally Devlet Bahceli said it “would be beneficial” to release Selahattin Demirtas, the former pro-Kurdish party leader jailed since 2016.

Bahceli, long hostile to Kurdish political demands, effectively launched the peace process with the PKK when he floated the idea a year ago.

“With a bit more courage and effort, and with God’s permission, we will successfully conclude this process,” Erdogan said.


Israel to permit 10,000 Palestinian worshippers to Al-Aqsa in Ramadan

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Israel to permit 10,000 Palestinian worshippers to Al-Aqsa in Ramadan

  • Israel announced it would allow 10,000 Palestinian worshippers to attend weekly prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday
JERUSALEM: Israel announced it would allow 10,000 Palestinian worshippers to attend weekly prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.
Israeli authorities also imposed restrictions on entry to the mosque compound, permitting access only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.
“Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance,” COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency responsible for Palestinian civilian affairs in occupied territory said in a statement.
“Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative.”
During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al?Aqsa, Islam’s third?holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body that administers the site — from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad Al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.
“I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed,” he said.
Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect from Monday.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the Al?Aqsa compound — which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben?Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.