Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz usher in new age as Novak Djokovic battles on

1 / 3
This combination image shows Italy's Jannik Sinner in action during his semifinal match against Serbia's Novak Djokovic, left, and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz against American Taylor Fritz at the Riyadh Arena on Wednesday. (Reuters photos)
2 / 3
Serbia's Novak Djokovic in action during his semifinal match against Italy's Jannik Sinner at the ANB Arena in Riyadh on October 16, 2025. (REUTERS)
3 / 3
Taylor Fritz in action during his semifinal match against Spain's Carlos Alcaraz at the ANB Arena in Riyadh on October 16, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 17 October 2025
Follow

Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz usher in new age as Novak Djokovic battles on

  • Sinner tops Djokovic, Alcaraz beats Taylor Fritz to advance
  • Clear power shift in men’s tennis, Djokovic tells Arab News

RIYADH: The Six Kings Slam delivered another evening of world-class tennis in Riyadh on Thursday, with Italy’s Jannik Sinner and Spain’s Carlos Alcaraz continuing to assert their dominance, while Novak Djokovic acknowledged the shifting balance at the top of men’s tennis.

Sinner, who captured last year’s ATP Finals title, once again showcased the consistency and composure that have elevated him into the sport’s elite.

The Italian, who defeated Taylor Fritz to lift the year-end crown in 2024, produced another strong performance in Riyadh to reaffirm his place among tennis’ brightest stars.

Addressing Arab News’ question during the post-match press conference, Sinner reflected on the satisfaction of maintaining his level and focus. “Every day we have a challenge,” he said, adding that “Novak is a huge and tough challenge to play against.”

 

Djokovic, meanwhile, praised the quality of competition while admitting that the new generation led by Sinner and Alcaraz were playing “as close to perfection” as anyone right now.

“I always try to improve … but when I still do, I still try to play at the highest level and compete with the best players in the world,” Djokovic told Arab News.

“Jannik and Carlos are, without a doubt, a few levels above both all of us. But I still try to close the gap and challenge them at the biggest tournaments.”

He added that while his hunger for titles remains, he is aware that his current chapter comes with a new perspective.

“I have to be satisfied with being (among the) top five in the world, you know, in these circumstances,” he said. “You might never catch perfection, but you still lean towards it.”

 

Earlier in the evening, Alcaraz continued his impressive run with another victory over Fritz, replicating his Tokyo triumph from two weeks ago. The Spaniard’s variety and creative play again stole the show — particularly his crowd-pleasing drop shots.

“I came here to try to play aggressive, to do the same things that I did in Tokyo,” Alcaraz said.

“The conditions are totally different … the altitude is different, the balls fly more, bounce more, bigger, sooner. So I just tried to adapt myself as best as I can. It was a great feeling today.”

Asked about the artistry of his drop shots, Alcaraz explained: “It is a mix of both — the power and the touch. When I feel it, when I see the opponent step back, I make the most of that time to make the drops. The strategy for me is really important.”

Fritz said the result highlighted the fine margins at the elite level. “It’s tough to say because … I felt like the gap was closing,” he admitted.

“But tonight, it did not feel close. He (Alcaraz) played very well. I felt really slow on the court today … It just took one ball from him to kind of put me out of position.”

 


Defending champ Andreeva reaches last 8 of Dubai Tennis Championships

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Defending champ Andreeva reaches last 8 of Dubai Tennis Championships

  • Top seed Elena Rybakina retires ill as Croatia’s Antonia Ruzic progresses to quarterfinals
  • Second seed Amanda Anisimova secures passage to last 8 with 70-minute win

DUBAI: Defending champion Mirra Andreeva was among a raft of top seeds that moved menacingly into striking position at this week’s Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, with a star-studded quarterfinal lineup setting up a thrilling denouement to the WTA 1000 event.

With nine seeded players swelling the competition in today’s round of 16, and only two matches pitting seed against seed, five daylight matches ultimately saw most fancied favorites progress to the quarterfinals.

In the opening match on Centre Court, Amanda Anisimova, the tournament’s second seed and the World No. 6, took only 70 minutes to dispose of Indonesian wildcard Janice Tjen 6-1, 6-3, in what was the reigning Wimbledon champion’s first match of the tournament.

After receiving a bye in the round of 64, Anisimova was subsequently handed a walkover in the round of 32 when Barbora Krejcikova withdrew due to injury. The well-rested American’s reward for her ruthless dismantling of Tjen is a quarterfinal clash with fifth seed Mirra Andreeva, who edged out Romania’s Jaqueline Cristian 7-5, 6-3, in the second match on Centre Court.

Similarly, Andreeva’s win came a mere 24 hours after Daria Kasatkina’s withdrawal handed the fifth seed a second round walkover — on top of her first round bye — into the round of 32. Ahead of their last eight showdown, Andreeva said: “It’s the second time it ever happened to me, that the girl withdrew before the match. I had one more day of practice, but I feel like it’s kind of breaking the rhythm of your play a little bit.

“I feel like I was pretty far from perfect today, from how I want to play, so I’m just really happy that I stayed focused and tried to reset for every single point, I’m super happy with that. I’m sure tomorrow is going to be better because I’m going to get into this rhythm.”

Now only three matches away from defending her Dubai title — which would make the Russian the first back-to-back winner since Elina Svitolina in 2018 — Andreeva added: “I know I’m a defending champion, but I have so many nice and great memories from Dubai from last year. I feel all the support from the people. And honestly, it’s insane because I feel so much more motivation here than any tournament, so I’m just so excited to try and defend my title. I’m going to give it all tomorrow and we’ll see how it’s going to go.”

The final daylight match on Centre Court saw top seed Elena Rybakina, the world No. 3, retire during her match with Croatia’s Antonia Ruzic. Despite surrendering six inches in height and reach to the two-time Grand Slam winner, Ruzic showed few signs of fatigue after navigating two punishing three-set matches over the past two days.

After losing a topsy-turvy first set where she broke Rybakina in the very first game, Ruzic, ranked 64 places below her opponent, bravely battled back to clinch the second set 6-4. Then, only seconds into the decider, and moments after Ruzic broke Rybakina again to go 1-0 up, Rybakina’s race was run — the 26-year-old retiring due to illness.

On New Court 1, last year’s defeated finalist, Dane Clara Tauson, maintained her confident form with a comprehensive 6-4, 6-2 victory over Magda Linette. Having eliminated eighth seed Ekaterina Alexandrova in the round of 32, the Pole had no answer to the impressive Tauson, who will face her third American opponent in four matches in Thursday’s quarterfinal.

Her last eight opponent was decided in the second match on Dubai Tennis Stadium’s newest court, which saw an all-American clash between rising star and 16th seed Iva Jovic, and 2024 US Open finalist Jessica Pegula, the fourth seed.

After a tight opening set, the seasoned Pegula upped the ante and eventually overpowered her younger rival 6-4, 6-2. The Pegula-Tauson quarterfinal looks delicately balanced, with both players yet to drop a set in Dubai this year.