Lionel Messi has rejoined the Argentina squad and could feature in Tuesday’s friendly against Puerto Rico, coach Lionel Scaloni said after the forward skipped their 1-0 victory over Venezuela to play for Inter Miami at the weekend.
Messi scored twice in Inter Miami’s 4-0 victory over Atlanta United in Major League Soccer on Saturday, and Scaloni said he would speak to the 38-year-old about his fitness before deciding if he plays against Puerto Rico.
“I saw Messi play on Saturday. From what I know, he finished well. I haven’t spoken to him yet,” Scaloni told reporters on Monday.
“Now we have the last training session for tomorrow’s match, and as we always do before preparing for the final training, I’ll talk to him and if he’s in condition, he’ll play tomorrow.”
The match against Puerto Rico will take place at Inter Miami’s home venue Chase Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida after being moved from Chicago due to security and logistical concerns.
Messi set for Argentina return in Puerto Rico friendly
https://arab.news/mphph
Messi set for Argentina return in Puerto Rico friendly
- Lionel Messi scored twice in Inter Miami’s 4-0 victory over Atlanta United in Major League Soccer on Saturday
Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed
- After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10
ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.
From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.
The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.
In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.
Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.
This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.
Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.
Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”
“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.
“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”










