Mahira, Fawad Khan reunite as Pakistan’s long-delayed ‘Neelofar’ set for Nov. 28 global release

The photograph shared on August 21, 2023, shows star Pakistani actors Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan posing for a photo shoot. (Instagram/@fawadkhan81/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 October 2025
Follow

Mahira, Fawad Khan reunite as Pakistan’s long-delayed ‘Neelofar’ set for Nov. 28 global release

  • Shooting for the move was reportedly completed in 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic postponed its release indefinitely
  • Mahira, Fawad Khan won hearts with their TV serial ‘Humsafar,’ reunited for Bilal Lashari’s ‘The Legend of Maula Jatt’

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani romantic drama movie, ‘Neelofar,’ is finally set for worldwide release this winter season, with its official poster launched this week.

The long-delayed movie, which stars Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan in lead roles, is written and directed by Ammar Rasool and produced by Usaf Shariq.

The poster, released this week on Facebook, Instagram and elsewhere, showed the two lead actors together and contained an animation, which opens with Fawad saying, “’Neelofar naam hai uska’ (Her name is Neelofar).”

“In cinemas worldwide — 28th November. Save the date!” read the post on the movie’s official Facebook page.

Shooting for the move was reportedly completed in 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic postponed its release indefinitely.

Khan and Mahira won the hearts with their performance in television serial ‘Humsafar.’ They later reunited in Bilal Lashari’s ‘The Legend of Maula Jatt’ which shattered all box office records.

The duo is anticipated to once again create magic with their on-screen chemistry.

The cast of the movie includes, Madiha Imam, Sarwat Gilani, Atiqa Odho, Behrooz Sabzwari, Gohar Rasheed, Faisal Qureshi, Samiya Mumtaz, Rashid Farooqui, Chand Baral, Seemi Raheal, Adeel Hashmi, Hira Tareen and Navid Shahzad. 


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.