Alcaraz dispels injury fears to reach Tokyo quarter-finals

Spain’s Carlos Alcaraz reacts after his men’s singles match against Belgium’s Zizou Bergs at the ATP Japan Open tennis tournament in Tokyo on Sept. 27, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 September 2025
Follow

Alcaraz dispels injury fears to reach Tokyo quarter-finals

  • The world number one hurt himself two days earlier in his opening match in Tokyo
  • The Spaniard was left sweating on his fitness but he showed no evidence of discomfort

TOKYO: Carlos Alcaraz admitted his ankle injury had worried him and was on his mind as he beat Belgium’s Zizou Bergs 6-4, 6-3 at the Japan Open on Saturday.
The world number one hurt himself two days earlier in his opening match in Tokyo, crumpling to the ground before playing on with his ankle heavily strapped.
The Spaniard was left sweating on his fitness but he showed no evidence of discomfort as he returned to the court to beat world number 45 Bergs in front of an adoring Japanese crowd.
Alcaraz got the job done in an hour and 20 minutes and will face American Brandon Nakashima in the quarter-finals on Sunday.
“I was a bit worried before the match so I just wanted to warm up and let’s see how it’s going to feel,” Alcaraz said.
“I didn’t feel anything in the ankle, so after the warm-up I decided I can go and I can play.”
Alcaraz took to the court with white strapping visible underneath the sock on his left ankle.
He did not appear to be restricted in his movement but he limped briefly after chasing a shot that won Bergs a break early in the first set.
“In some movements I’m scared about going crazy so most of the time I take it a little easy,” he said.
“Sometimes I feel a little bit the ankle, which I would say is normal.”
Alcaraz is playing in Japan for the first time and delighted the crowd with a series of leaping forehand winners, claiming the first set despite having his service broken twice.
His service was broken three times overall and he blamed his injury for his lack of accuracy.
“I think because my thoughts were on the ankle, I forgot about doing a smooth movement, smooth serve,” he said.
Alcaraz raced into an early lead in the second set but Bergs made him work hard for the victory with a gritty performance.
Alcaraz sealed the deal with a thumping forehand at the net that Bergs could not return into play.
Alcaraz will look to book his place in the semifinal when he faces world number 33 Nakashima, who beat Hungarian qualifier Marton Fucsovics 7-5, 6-3.
“I’m still taking care of the ankle and I will try to feel as good as today or even better,” said Alcaraz.
“Tomorrow is going be a great challenge that I’m really excited about, and I’m ready for that.”
Denmark’s number three seed Holger Rune also advanced, beating American qualifier Ethan Quinn 6-4, 6-2.


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”