Lebanon’s president rejects use of force in efforts to disarm Hezbollah

1 / 2
President of Lebanon Joseph Aoun speaks during the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) at United Nations headquarters, New York City, Sept. 23, 2025. (AFP)
2 / 2
President of Lebanon Joseph Aoun speaks during the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) at United Nations headquarters, New York City, Sept. 23, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 24 September 2025
Follow

Lebanon’s president rejects use of force in efforts to disarm Hezbollah

  • Speaking at UN General Assembly in New York, Joseph Aoun says the main obstacle to disarmament remains continuing Israeli occupation of Lebanese territory
  • Violations of Beirut airspace intensify in run-up to anniversary of Hezbollah leader’s death; Israeli drone crashes into UNIFIL headquarters

BEIRUT: “Resorting to force to implement the Lebanese government’s decision to limit arms to the state is out of the question under any circumstances, and cannot take place at present,” Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun said during political meetings on the sidelines of the 80th UN General Assembly in New York.

“The decision to limit arms to the state is in the process of being implemented after overcoming the main obstacle facing it, which is the continued Israeli occupation of the eight hills it has seized, as well as other Lebanese territories,” he said.

Aoun stressed that he “is keen on preserving the unity of the Lebanese people and on preventing anything that could harm this unity,” his media office said on Wednesday.

The president held talks on Tuesday with several Arab and other foreign officials about the security of Lebanon and the situation in the wider region. He called on US Secretary of State Marco Rubio to put pressure on Israel to honor its ceasefire deal with Lebanese authorities and halt its attacks.

In particular, he asked Rubio for US assistance in confirming Israel’s commitment to the Nov. 27, 2024, agreement to end hostilities in southern Lebanon and withdraw from areas it occupies there.

Aoun also discussed the situation in southern Lebanon with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul, telling him that Israel was failing to comply with the terms of the ceasefire agreement, even amid growing international calls for action to prevent the security situation from deteriorating further.

In a speech to the General Assembly, Aoun said: “Lebanon has decisively chosen not to be a hub of death, a quagmire of wars, or a launching point for their spread throughout its surroundings.”

He repeated his demand for an immediate end to Israeli attacks, and the withdrawal of the country’s forces from Lebanese territory, as well the release of all prisoners, saying that Lebanon “will neither forget nor abandon” them.

The president stressed the importance of fully implementing UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which was adopted by the Security Council in 2006 with the aim of resolving the conflict that year between Israel and Hezbollah. It calls for an end to hostilities, the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanon, the withdrawal of Hezbollah and other forces from the south of the country, and the disarmament of Hezbollah and other armed groups.

Aoun also praised the UN Interim Force in Lebanon for its collaboration with the Lebanese army in efforts to maintain security and stability during this transitional period in the country.

Hezbollah opposes any call to surrender its weapons before Israel fulfills its obligations under the 2024 ceasefire agreement.

US envoy Tom Barrack sparked controversy in Lebanon with recent comments in which he conceded that the situation in the country remains “very difficult” but said the efforts so far to disarm Hezbollah have been “just talk without any actual action.”

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam criticized Barrack for undermining “the seriousness of the government and the role of the Lebanese army.”

Barrack’s remarks came before he took part in talks in New York this week between Aoun and Rubio, at which the US envoy to Lebanon, Morgan Ortagus, was also present.

Meanwhile, low-altitude aerial activity by Israeli forces in Lebanese airspace intensified on Wednesday. Reconnaissance warplanes flew over Beirut, its southern suburbs, northern Bekaa, and the Chouf region. Security forces also observed drones dropping objects into valleys in the south of the country.

The resumption of Israeli aerial missions deep inside Lebanese territory comes as Hezbollah prepares to commemorate the first anniversaries of the killings of its secretary-general, Hassan Nasrallah, on Sept. 27 last year, and his de facto successor, Hashem Safieddine, on Oct. 3.

Elsewhere, the UN Interim Force’s spokesperson, Candice Ardell, said an Israeli drone had crashed inside UNIFIL’s headquarters in Naqoura but no one was injured.

“Peacekeepers specialized in explosive ordnance disposal immediately isolated the drone and secured its surroundings, and it turned out that it was not armed but was equipped with a camera. The Israeli army later confirmed that the drone belonged to it,” she said.

“Peacekeeping forces are equipped and ready to take measures against any threats to their safety in self-defense. However, this drone fell on its own.

“As with all Israeli army drones and other aerial sorties over southern Lebanon, this is considered a violation of Resolution 1701 and of Lebanese sovereignty.”

Ardell warned: “UNIFIL takes any interference with, or threats against, its personnel, facilities or operations seriously and will officially protest this act.

“Despite these challenges, peacekeeping forces continue to work with impartiality and steadfastness to support security and stability in southern Lebanon, which ongoing violations continue to put them at risk.”


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.