Australia rules out helping families of Daesh militants leave Syrian camp

Family members of suspected Islamic State militants who are Australian nationals board a van heading to the airport in Damascus during the first repatriation operation of the year, at Roj Camp in eastern Syria, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Australia rules out helping families of Daesh militants leave Syrian camp

  • “We have a very firm view that ⁠we won’t ‌be ‌providing assistance ​or ‌repatriation,” Albanese ‌told ABC News

SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Tuesday his government would not help Australians in a Syrian camp holding families of suspected Daesh militants return home, with the government open to prosecutions if they make it back.
“We have a very firm view that we won’t be providing assistance or repatriation,” Albanese told ABC News. Thirty-four Australians released on Monday from a camp in northern Syria were returned to the detention center due to “technical ‌reasons,” two sources ‌told Reuters on Monday.
Dubbed “IS brides” by local ​media — ‌though ⁠the cohort ​also includes ⁠children — they are expected to travel to Damascus before eventually returning to Australia, despite objection from ruling and opposition lawmakers.
A spokesperson for Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said Australia’s security agencies had been monitoring the situation in Syria, and said those who had broken the law would be prosecuted.
“People in this cohort need to know that if they have committed a crime and if they return to Australia they ⁠will be met with the full force of the law,” ‌he said.
Daesh is a listed terror ‌organization in Australia, with membership of the group punishable ​by up to 25 years in prison. ‌Australia also has the power to strip dual nationals of citizenship if ‌they are a Daesh member.

SURGE IN RIGHT-WING POPULISM
The return of relatives of suspected IS militants is a political issue in Australia, that has seen a surge in popularity of the right wing, anti-immigration One Nation party led by Pauline Hanson.
“They hate Westerners, and ‌that’s what it’s all about. You say there’s great Muslims out there, well I’m sorry, how can you tell me ⁠there are good ⁠Muslims?” Hanson said in an interview on Sky News on Monday, following news of the suspected Daesh family members return.
The comments were criticized by members of Hanson’s party.
A poll this week found One Nation’s share of the popular vote at a record high of 26 percent, above the combined support for the traditional center-right coalition currently in opposition.
Sarah Henderson, a senator in the Liberal party that has seen its vote eroded by One Nation, said on Tuesday that Australians with sympathies toward Daesh should be barred from reentering the country.
“If these are people who subscribed to Daesh ideology, who subscribe to this extremist ideology, ​then they should not be returning ​to Australia,” she told ABC.
Australian citizens have a legal right to enter the country under both local and international law.

 


South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

SEOUL: South Korea’s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said on Wednesday that three civilians had sent drones to North Korea on four occasions since President Lee Jae Myung took office last year, harming inter-Korean ties.
The trio flew the aircraft between September 2025 and January, Chung said, citing an ongoing investigation by police and the military. Drones crashed on two occasions in North Korea, in line with claims ‌made by ‌Pyongyang, he said.
On two other attempts the ​drones ‌returned ⁠to Paju, ​a border ⁠settlement in South Korea, after flying over Kaesong, a city in North Korea, Chung said.
South Korean authorities were investigating the three civilians on suspicion of violating the aviation safety act and breaching criminal law by benefiting the enemy, he said.
Some officials at South Korea’s military intelligence agency and the National Intelligence Service were also under investigation for alleged involvement with the ⁠trio, he said.
“We express official regret to the ‌North,” Chung said, adding that the government ‌was taking the drone incursion incidents very seriously.
North ​Korea has reacted angrily, saying ‌last month that drones from South Korea entered its airspace, after ‌another intrusion in September.
Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, urged Seoul to investigate the incident, warning provocations could result in “terrible situations.”
Chung also expressed regret over South Korea sending 18 drones to North Korea under ‌the direction of ousted President Yoon Suk Yeol.
“It was an extremely dangerous incident aimed to induce an attack ⁠against South ⁠Korea by sending 18 drones on 11 occasions, to sensitive areas in North Korea including the airspace over the Workers’ Party office,” he said.
South Korean prosecutors have
indicted Yoon
, who was ousted in April 2025, on charges that include aiding an enemy state.
They accused him and his military commanders of ordering a covert drone operation into the North to raise tensions and justify his martial law decree.
Yoon denies wrongdoing.
South Korea’s government plans to strengthen penalties for sending drones to the North, Chung said, including up to a one-year jail term or a 10 million ​won ($6,928) fine.
A clause will ​also be added to South Korea’s inter-Korean relations development act to block actions that heighten tensions on the peninsula, he said.