Rodri a question mark for City’s Premier League clash with Arsenal

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola said his Ballon d'Or winner Rodri is a doubt for Sunday's trip to Arsenal due to fitness concerns in what is sure to be a blockbuster clash. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 September 2025
Follow

Rodri a question mark for City’s Premier League clash with Arsenal

  • City will arrive in North London on a wave of momentum after back-to-back wins over Manchester United and Napoli
  • Guardiola said the Spain midfielder will be assessed ahead of Sunday’s game when asked if he would play

MANCHESTER: Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola said his Ballon d’Or winner Rodri is a doubt for Sunday’s trip to Arsenal due to fitness concerns in what is sure to be a blockbuster clash.
City will arrive in North London on a wave of momentum after back-to-back wins over Manchester United and Napoli, but Rodri came off after an hour against the Serie A leaders in Thursday’s Champions League match, raising concerns about his fitness.
Guardiola said the Spain midfielder will be assessed ahead of Sunday’s game when asked if he would play.
“I don’t know yet, but he was so smart (to request a substitution against Napoli on Thursday). We’ll see, day-by-day,” Guardiola added.
“The training (on Wednesday), he didn’t feel comfortable, but said, ‘No, no, I will be fine, and he played extraordinarily. But, of course, he comes from a tough, tough injury, he has to be alert and we will decide on Sunday how he feels.”
The 29-year-old Spaniard spent most of last season sidelined after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, and then suffered a groin injury at the Club World Cup.
While City and Arsenal are touted as potential title contenders, Guardiola cautioned that it was too early in the campaign for Sunday’s fixture to give any pointers.
“Listen, it’s the fifth game of the season, come on,” he said. “(Former Manchester United manager) Alex Ferguson said in the Premier League, you have to, after Boxing Day, stay close to the top four,” he added. “After that, you can think about it.
“In the six Premier Leagues (titles Guardiola has won at City), I think four or five, we were in December, January, behind Liverpool and behind Arsenal and at the end we won it.”
While City appear to be rediscovering their rhythm after they were rattled by early defeats to Tottenham Hotspur and Brighton, Guardiola said Arsenal will be a huge challenge on Sunday.
“Mikel (Arteta) is an extraordinary manager and they increased the squad for these (last) four, five transfer windows,” he said. “So it’s an unbelievable squad. It is one of the toughest opponents you can find right now in Europe.”
The Spaniard said his main concern was improving on last season’s third-place finish.
“To see the team growing up, that is only my concern right now, to see the team make a step forward every day,” he said. “We’re not going to win the Premier League on Sunday. We’re not going to lose the Premier League on Sunday.”


UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

PARIS: UEFA said on Wednesday it would “investigate allegations of discriminatory behavior” after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Tuesday’s first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie was stopped for more than 10 minutes after Vinicius complained to French referee Francois Letexier about the alleged abuse following a confrontation between him and Prestianni.
That came just moments after Brazil international Vinicius scored a sublime goal before picking up a yellow card after celebrating in front of the home crowd at the Estadio da Luz.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to the referee and told him that he had been called “mono,” the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine midfielder.
The 20-year-old Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.
Real’s England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident had left a sour taste in the mouth.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” he said.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica’s players and fans with his celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way,” said the Portuguese.