Turkiye pleased with alignment steps by Syria and Kurdish forces, Erdogan says

Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan attends a signing ceremony during his official visit at the National Palace in Addis Ababa on Feb. 17, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Turkiye pleased with alignment steps by Syria and Kurdish forces, Erdogan says

  • Erdogan was cited ⁠as ⁠saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps

ISTANBUL: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he is pleased to see steps taken in neighboring Syria to integrate the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic ⁠Forces (SDF) into state ⁠structures, after a US-backed ceasefire deal late last month ⁠between the sides.
In a readout on Wednesday of his comments to reporters on a return flight from Ethiopia, Erdogan was cited ⁠as ⁠saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps and providing guidance on implementing the agreement.


Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

Updated 30 min 48 sec ago
Follow

Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

  • Renewed talks ‌scheduled in early March ⁠and ⁠could possibly lead to an interim deal

DUBAI: Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and ​mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early ‌March. The official ‌said Tehran ​could ‌seriously ⁠consider ​a combination of ⁠exporting part of its highly enriched uranium (HEU) stockpile, diluting the purity of its HEU and a regional consortium for enriching uranium, but in return Iran’s ⁠right to “peacful nuclear enrichment” ‌must be ‌recognized.
“The negotiations continue and ​the possibility ‌of reaching an interim agreement exists,” ‌the official said. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft ‌counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the ⁠United ⁠States this week, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
The senior official said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources but US companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil ​and gas ​fields.