Benfica’s Prestianni denies racially insulting Real Madrid’s Vinícius in Champions League game

Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior during the warm up before the match (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Benfica’s Prestianni denies racially insulting Real Madrid’s Vinícius in Champions League game

  • Cameras picked up Vinícius telling French referee François Letexier that Prestianni called him a “monkey”
  • “There is absolutely no room for racism in our sport and in society,” Infantino said

MADRID: Benfica player Gianluca Prestianni has denied racially insulting Real Madrid forward Vinícius Júnior during a Champions League match when he covered his mouth with his jersey.
“I have never been racist with anyone and I regret the threats that I received from Real Madrid players,” the 20-year-old Argentina forward, who faces a potential 10-match ban if found guilty of racial abuse in UEFA’s disciplinary code, said on X.
The European soccer governing body said Wednesday it has appointed a special investigator to gather evidence.
Benfica said Prestianni was the victim of a “defamation campaign.”
The Champions League playoff game at Benfica’s Stadium of Light was halted for nearly 10 minutes on Tuesday after the referee initiated the anti-racism protocol, which is the standard procedure when a player alleges being abused.
Cameras picked up Vinícius telling French referee François Letexier that Prestianni called him a “monkey.”
FIFA President Gianni Infantino said he was “shocked and saddened to see the incident of alleged racism” and praised the referee for activating the anti-racism protocol.
“There is absolutely no room for racism in our sport and in society,” Infantino said on X. “We need all the relevant stakeholders to take action and hold those responsible to account.”

Benfica showed support for Prestianni on Wednesday, with the Portuguese club claiming that Madrid players who said they heard the insult were too far away.
Benfica later released a statement saying they welcomed UEFA’s investigation and that they “fully support and believe the version presented” by Prestianni, “whose conduct while with the club has always been guided by respect” toward everyone.
Benfica fans had reacted angrily to Vinícius celebrating his 50th-minute goal by dancing by the corner flag, throwing bottles and other objects toward the Madrid players. Prestianni then confronted Vinícius and said something while covering his mouth with his jersey.
Madrid, which won 1-0, host the second leg on Feb. 25 with the overall winner advancing to the round of 16 in European club soccer’s top competition.
‘Racists are cowards’
After the match, Vinícius posted a photo on Instagram of him celebrating by the Benfica corner flag. He wrote: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouths with their shirts to show how they are weak. ... Nothing that happened today is new to me in my life and in my family’s life. I was shown a yellow card for celebrating a goal. I still don’t know why.”
Madrid players said they considered leaving the field but eventually decided to continue playing.
Vinícius covered his mouth with his hands several times, as many players do, while talking to teammates and opponents.
Benfica posted a video on X.
“As the images show, given the distance, the Real Madrid players couldn’t have heard what they have been saying that they heard,” Benfica said.
Benfica had already posted Prestianni’s statement along with the words: “Together, by your side.”
Prestianni defends himself
Prestianni insisted that Vinícius misunderstood what was said, while Benfica players after the match reportedly said the Argentine provoked the Brazil forward but never racially insulted him.
“I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults at the player Vinícius Júnior, who unfortunately misinterpreted what he thought he had heard,” Prestianni said.
He did not say why he covered his mouth.
The referee appeared to show that he did not hear anything and gestured that Prestianni had the shirt over his mouth. Vinícius, who is Black and has been repeatedly subjected to racist abuse in Spain, went to the sideline and sat in the dugout while play was stopped.
Prestianni was not shown a yellow card and continued playing. He was substituted in the 81st and was applauded by Benfica fans.
Kylian Mbappé was among the Madrid players who strongly defended Vinícius and posted on X: “Dance, Vini, and please never stop. They will never tell us what we have to do or not.”
The France great also said Prestianni should never play in the Champions League again.
Some online videos on Wednesday appeared to show a few Benfica fans doing monkey gestures from the stands.
Kick It Out criticizes Mourinho’s remarks
Benfica coach José Mourinho criticized Vinícius for celebrating by the Benfica flag. He spoke with both players and said he did not want to say he believed one over the other.
Mourinho said he told Vinícius that the greatest player in Benfica’s history — Eusébio — was also Black, but seemed to question why the Madrid player was so frequently targeted by racist abuse.
Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out criticized Mourinho’s remarks.
“When anyone reports discrimination in football, or anywhere, the first priority is that they are listened to and feel supported,” it said.
“Focusing on Vinicius Jr.’s goal celebration or the history of the club, instead of acknowledging the report, is a form of gaslighting.
“This approach not only harms the individual affected but also sends the wrong message to others around the world who may have experienced similar situations.”


Pegula and Anisimova win to set up all-American semi-final showdown in Dubai

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pegula and Anisimova win to set up all-American semi-final showdown in Dubai

  • Both of last year’s finalists Andreeva and Tauson eliminated after marathon matches in Thursday afternoon’s daylight quarterfinals

DUBAI: WTA 1000 week at this year’s Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships is heading for an epic conclusion with two top-ranked players sealing progression to Friday’s semi-finals after mouthwatering marathons on Centre Court today.

In a quarter-final line-up where three of the four matches featured first-time meetings, the opening match pitted last year’s defeated finalist, Denmark’s towering Clara Tauson, against fourth seed Jessica Pegula.

Prior to play, neither player had lost a set in Dubai this year and the early throes of the tie demonstrated exactly why, as both exchanged blistering baseline groundstroke winners under the early afternoon sunshine. After a tense 40-plus minutes, a single break of serve was enough for Pegula to take the first set, 6-3.

The second set, however, saw a sharp reversal of fortunes. Tauson, widely regarded as a junior prodigy after surpassing 2011 Dubai champion’s Caroline Wozniacki record as the youngest winner of the Danish tennis championship before she became the first Dane to top the junior world rankings, rediscovered her ruthless streak.

With crosswinds swirling around Centre Court, the Dane took more risks and found the desired levels of accuracy as she broke Pegula twice in succession to claim the set 6-2 and level the tie.

With the delicately poised final set proceeding on serve until 3-3, Pegula struck a decisive break in game seven to move ahead. After respective holds of serve, the American held once more to clinch the match, seal progression to the final four, and ensure a minimum of $197,000 in prize money as well as 390 ranking points.

“I’m starting to feel more like myself again after a tough stretch earlier in the season,” said the World No. 5, before serving an ominous warning to her Dubai title rivals. “I’ve been serving better and moving well physically, and the work with my coaches has helped me get back to the roots of my game.”

Pegula will face second seed and World No. 6 Amanda Anisimova after she triumphed 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(4), against defending champion and fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in a thrill-a-minute encounter that clocked in at just under 160 minutes.

In only the second meeting between the two players — Anisimova edged Andreeva in a three-setter in Miami last year — the pair produced arguably the tie of the tournament so far. For three sets, the rollercoaster contest had everything; power, touch, stunning shot selection and execution, dramatic rallies, and the moments of world-class quality expected when two top five seeds meet.

After sharing the first two sets, and with a near-capacity Centre Court enthralled by the pendulum-like momentum, the match ramped up yet another gear in the deciding set. Andreeva went 3-1 up after breaking her American opponent twice in a row, but Anisimova hit back by winning four games on the spin to serve for the match at 5-4.

Andreeva, the youngest winner in both Dubai and any WTA 1000 event, was not yet ready to relinquish her title defence, lifting her game to win the next three games and move 6-5 ahead. Anisimova, after holding serve to make it 6-6, started the tiebreaker with greater purpose, eventually holding the third of her four match points to dethrone Andreeva and seal an all-American semi-final with Pegula.

“It was almost me in tears there at the end,” said Anisimova, referring to Andreeva, who sat inconsolably crying post-match. “It was such a tough battle, Meera fought so hard today, she’s playing so well and was fighting like a champion on court. I feel like these types of matches, it’s always tough that someone has lose at the end of the day. But, yeah, I feel like we both played great, and I’m really happy to get through.

“I love playing here in Dubai and I’m really excited for every match. Every point is going to be different, and I really enjoy that challenge. I play against Jess tomorrow, so another great fight, and hopefully we’ll have a good match. It’s always exciting against another American, she’s always bringing her best, and I feel like we always have great matches.”