Italian boxer speaks out over online abuse since Olympic bout against Khelif

Algeria’s Imane Khelif, right, looks at Italy’s Angela Carini, following their women’s 66kg preliminary boxing match at the 2024 Summer Olympics, Aug. 1, 2024, in Paris. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 12 September 2025
Follow

Italian boxer speaks out over online abuse since Olympic bout against Khelif

  • Carini published a video on Instagram with screenshots of messages she has received on social media — some begging her not to go to the Olympics again, others calling her “a coward”
  • “Have you ever wondered how hard it was for me to face these words?”

NAPLES, Italy: Italian boxer Angela Carini says the online abuse she’s received since her Olympic fight against Imane Khelif last year has “destroyed her career.”
Carini tearfully quit her opening bout with Khelif of Algeria at the Paris Olympics after just 46 seconds, going on to explain afterward that she took the extremely unusual decision because of the pain from her opponent’s opening punches.
On Friday, Carini published a video on Instagram with screenshots of messages she has received on social media — some begging her not to go to the Olympics again, others calling her “a coward” and “the shame of the Italy team” — and a voiceover of the 26-year-old explaining how she felt.
“Have you ever wondered how hard it was for me to face these words? What I had to endure and endure day after day? What I had to face in my silence, while preserving my health from a stupid social network, from people who speak and say words without thinking twice?” Carini said.
“Because for them it’s just a sentence, it’s just a word, it’s just fun, it’s just wanting to follow the crowd.”
Khelif won the Olympic gold amid international scrutiny on her and Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting, another gold medal winner.
Both fighters were allowed to compete by the IOC after being disqualified from the 2023 world championships by the Russian-dominated International Boxing Association. The IBA claimed the women failed unspecified eligibility tests.
However, the IOC applied sex eligibility rules used in previous Olympics and said Khelif and Lin passed.
‘An infected wound’
Carini’s actions fueled a discussion far beyond Paris about whether Khelif should have been allowed to compete, with (then former) US President Donald Trump and Italian Premier Giorgia Meloni speaking out.
“For many it is easy to forget the past, but for me it wasn’t,” Carini continued. “That past that marked my life. That past that left wounds inside me that I try to heal day after day, but like an infected wound, it bleeds and hurts.
“That past that changed and destroyed my career, built year after year with sacrifices, dedication, tenacity and a lot of passion … That career that is underestimated and belittled by those who preferred to have a laugh for a few moments, preferred to throw the stone.”
Carini won silver medals at the world and European championships in 2019. She lost her opening fight at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
After Paris, Carini said she closed herself “in silence” with her family and “tried to rebuild (herself) in small pieces.”
Carini returned to the ring in December, winning her eighth Italian title and gold at the World Boxing Cup in Poland.
“Putting all the disappointment aside, I got back into that ring, reconfirming myself as Italian champion and bringing home medals from important international tournaments,” Carini said. “Getting back into that ring was a tough challenge.
“These words of mine will not change the world, I will not make people become kinder. But at least I invite everyone to reflect … A word, a gesture, a command can hurt and destroy a person.”


Top seeds head into last 16 on a windy afternoon at the Dubai Tennis Championships

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Top seeds head into last 16 on a windy afternoon at the Dubai Tennis Championships

  • Coco Gauff (No. 3 seed), Jessica Pegula (No. 4), Mirra Andreeva (No. 5) and Belinda Bencic (No. 9) all progress
  • Last year’s beaten finalist, Clara Tauson (No. 12), and rising US star Iva Jovic (No. 16) also still in the hunt, as is ‘lucky loser’ Antonia Ruzic

DUBAI: A raft of seeds booked passage into the Round of 16 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships as the action heated up amid glorious, if breezy, winter conditions on Tuesday.

Nine matches were completed during daylight hours on day three of the WTA 1000 event at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium. Coco Gauff, the World No. 4, and No. 3 seed this week, defeated Anna Kalinskaya 6-4, 6-4 in little more than 90 minutes.

As blustery winds swirled across Center Court, the conditions were challenging for both players and the momentum of the game resembled a pendulum. Ultimately, however, the American prevailed against the Russian, who had defeated her en route to the 2024 final at the event.

“It wasn’t the prettiest win but it was enough for today,” said Gauff.

Regarding the weather conditions that caused havoc for both players, she added: “It was pretty windy; it felt very open on the (Royal Box) side, so I was trying to adjust a lot and was struggling with consistency. Every time I’ve been here it’s not been windy, so today was different.”

Gauff will face Elise Mertens in the last 16 on Wednesday, after the Belgian dispatched 14th seed Emma Navarro of the US 6-2, 6-2 in just 75 minutes on Court 1.

Asked how she will prepare, Gauff said: “I feel fine; it wasn’t that long of a match. (My focus) will be more trying to work on things I need for tomorrow’s match.”

Also on Center Court, No. 4 seed Jessica Pegula made quick work of French qualifier Varvara Gracheva, requiring just 70 minutes to triumph 6-4, 6-0. The world No. 5’s victory set up an all-American clash with talented young compatriot Iva Jovic, who saw off Russia’s Diana Shnaider 6-4, 1-6, 6-0.

Last year’s defeated Dubai finalist, Clara Tauson of Denmark, continued her fine run of form with a trouble-free 6-2, 6-4 victory on Court 2 over Peyton Stearns of the US. The reward for Tauson, who eliminated 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin in the first round, is an eagerly anticipated showdown with Polish seed-extinguisher Magda Linette, who ousted World No. 12 Ekaterina Alexandrova, this week’s No. 8 seed, in a 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 roller coaster.

The 2019 Dubai champion, Belinda Bencic of Switzerland, progressed to the last 16 in a walkover after the injury-enforced withdrawal of Czech wildcard Sara Bejlek. Russian No. 5 seed Mirra Andreeva also received a walkover win when Russian-Australian Daria Kasatkina withdrew before play began.

Andreeva, the reigning champion, will face Jaqueline Cristian in the last 16 on Wednesday after the Romanian progressed past German qualifier Ella Seide, who retired after losing the first set 6-0.

Finally, Antonia Ruzic — the “lucky loser” who was defeated in the first qualifying round but made it to the main tournament as an alternate following withdrawals, and then sent British star Emma Raducanu packing on Monday evening — maintained her solid form to progress.

The Croatian saw off Anastasia Zakharova 6-1, 6-7, 6-1 in her second three-set epic in less than 24 hours. Depending on the evening’s remaining results, Ruzic could now face top seed Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan in the last 16. She was due to plays Australian qualifier Kimberly Birrell on Center Court at 7pm UAE time on Tuesday.

The 26th annual WTA event, which continues until Feb. 21, featured 16 of the top 20-ranked female players in the world, and 33 from the top 40.