MONZA: Lewis Hamilton has yet to stand on the Formula One podium as a Ferrari driver but team boss Fred Vasseur has no doubt the seven-times world champion will get there before the end of the season.
Hamilton started 10th in Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix after a grid penalty and finished sixth, with Ferrari fans showing him plenty of love on his Monza debut in the red overalls worn by so many greats before him.
Vasseur said the support had been a boost and Hamilton’s performance in following former Mercedes teammate George Russell — a race winner in Canada — across the line suggested the results would come for the 40-year-old.
“Yes, we can expect him to be on the podium,” said the Frenchman, who had also expected Ferrari to be on the podium at Monza.
Ferrari are second in the constructors’ standings, a massive 337 points behind runaway leaders McLaren, but the only team in the top four yet to win — other than Hamilton’s victory in a Saturday sprint in Shanghai in March.
There is no podium celebration after the sprint.
“I think the energy he received from the tifosi on Wednesday, Thursday in Milano was something very special for him,” Vasseur said of Hamilton, who joined from Mercedes in January and had previously raced at Monza as a Ferrari foe.
“It was something mega and I think this gave him an extra boost all over the weekend.”
Hamilton’s teammate Charles Leclerc was fourth on Sunday, at a circuit where he won last year, but qualified on pole in Hungary and has a season’s best of second in his home Monaco Grand Prix.
Vasseur said the gap to McLaren, beaten by Red Bull’s Max Verstappen on Sunday, had been close all weekend.
“I think we were in better shape this weekend, not enough because they are in front of us, but I think at least we closed the gap,” he added.
“I think we have a couple of tracks where we are supposed to be also in good shape, starting with the next one. We are historically always in good shape in Baku.
“But for sure the goal is to finish P2 in the championship. McLaren is on another planet.”
Vasseur said Ferrari were now fully focused on their 2026 engine and car, and expected other teams to have turned off the development tap.
“I think only one team brought an upgrade this weekend except the wing, because we have to adapt the car to the level of downforce, but I think for everybody now we are focused on 2026,” he added.
Hamilton will be on the podium this year, says Vasseur
https://arab.news/vdp72
Hamilton will be on the podium this year, says Vasseur
- Hamilton started 10th in Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix after a grid penalty and finished sixth
- Hamilton’s teammate Charles Leclerc was fourth on Sunday, at a circuit where he won last year, but qualified on pole in Hungary and has a season’s best of second in his home Monaco Grand Prix
Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim
- Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments
- Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue
MANCHESTER: Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe has been reminded of his “responsibilities as a participant in English football” after he triggered a storm of criticism for claiming Britain had been “colonized” by immigrants.
But England’s Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments, which were widely condemned by political figures, including British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, and the club’s supporters.
The governing body issued Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities when taking part in media interviews, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
British billionaire Ratcliffe, who owns petrochemicals giant INEOS, made the comments during an interview with Sky News, which aired last week.
“You can’t have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” he said. “I mean, the UK’s been colonized.”
Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue. He later said he was sorry his choice of language had “offended some people.”
Starmer had earlier called for him to apologize, saying “Britain is a proud, tolerant and diverse country.”
United fans, who are proud of the diversity within the team and their supporter base, also condemned his words.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust said the “senior leadership should make inclusion easier, not harder.”
Critics accused Ratcliffe of “hypocrisy,” saying he has chosen to make his home in Monaco to reduce his UK tax bill.
Carrick proud of Man United’s culture
United’s head coach, Michael Carrick, said earlier Friday that the Premier League club was proud of their culture of equality and diversity.
Carrick, who was recently hired as coach until the end of the season, faced the media for the first time since Ratcliffe’s remarks and he was asked for his response.
“Sir Jim has made a statement, and then the club’s made a statement on the back of it so for me to add to that is not my place,” he said. “What I can say is, as I’ve been around this club many, many years, we always make a huge impact globally.
“We’re really proud of the environment and the culture that we’ve got at the club, and equality and diversity and respect for each other is something that we look to carry through every day.”










