Deadly Portugal funicular crash likely due to problems with cable, report says

Portugal's Office for Air and Rail Accident Investigations on Saturday released its first investigative report into the crash. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 07 September 2025
Follow

Deadly Portugal funicular crash likely due to problems with cable, report says

  • Portugal’s Office for Air and Rail Accident Investigations on Saturday released its first investigative report into the crash

LISBON: Problems with a cable likely caused a Lisbon funicular railway popular with tourists to hurtle down a hill, killing at least 16 people and injuring another 22 when it crashed into a building, according to a preliminary report.
The yellow tram-like carriage, which carries people up and down a steep hillside in the Portuguese capital, hit a building after leaving the track on Wednesday, just meters from its twin at the bottom of a steep hill.
Portugal’s Office for Air and Rail Accident Investigations on Saturday released its first investigative report into the crash.
The report said the cabins had traveled “not more than about six meters” when they “suddenly lost the balancing force provided by the cable connecting them.”
“Cabin No. 2 suddenly reversed, its movement halting approximately 10 meters beyond due to its partial excursion past the end of the track and the burial of the underside of the trambolho (trolley) at the end of the cable trench,” it added.
“Cabin No. 1, at the top of Calcada da Gloria, continued its downward movement, increasing its speed.
The report added: “The cabin’s brakeman immediately applied the pneumatic brake and the hand brake to try to halt the movement. These actions had no effect in stopping or reducing the cabin’s speed, and it continued accelerating down the slope.”
The report added an examination of the wreckage showed “the connecting cable had given way” at the attachment point to the cabin at the top of the hill.
A final report will be published later.


Two killed in suicide attack targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Two killed in suicide attack targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

ISLAMABAD: Two security personnel, including an officer, were killed, while multiple others sustained injuries when a suicide blast targeted their vehicle in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, a police official said.

The suicide bomber hit his explosive-laden motorbike into an armored vehicle of security forces in Sara Darga area of KP’s Bannu district, according to a local police official who requested anonymity.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have carried out similar assaults in the region in past.

“The attack had damaged the armored vehicle, causing deaths and injuries,” he told Arab News, adding that they suspected the Pakistani Taliban to be behind the attack.

Pakistan has struggled to contain a surge in militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, in recent years, with militant groups, particularly the TTP, frequently targeting security forces, law enforcers and government officials in the region.

Earlier this week, Pakistani Taliban militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a checkpoint jointly manned by security forces and law enforcement agencies in KP’s Bajaur district, killing 11 security personnel among 12 people, the Pakistani military’s media wing said.

Islamabad accuses Afghanistan of allowing the use of its soil and India of backing militant groups for cross-border attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi deny this.

* This article also appears on Arab News Pakistan