UNRWA schools in Jerusalem stay closed as thousands of Palestinian pupils return to classrooms

About 46,000 Palestinian refugee children returned to UNRWA schools in the occupied West Bank. (Wafa)
Short Url
Updated 02 September 2025
Follow

UNRWA schools in Jerusalem stay closed as thousands of Palestinian pupils return to classrooms

  • UNRWA schools welcomed 5,000 new students to first-grade classes on Monday
  • Israeli military operations mean 10 schools in Jenin, Tulkarm, and Nur Shams refugee camps in the northern West Bank are still closed

LONDON: Six schools operated by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East remained closed in occupied East Jerusalem on Monday, for the first time in the agency’s history in the city following an Israeli ban in May.

About 46,000 Palestinian refugee children returned to UNRWA schools in the occupied West Bank, while 800 pupils from closed schools in Jerusalem had to enroll at alternative institutions. UNRWA schools welcomed 5,000 pupils who entered their first-year classes on Monday.

In Jenin, Tulkarm, and Nur Shams refugee camps in the northern West Bank, 10 UNRWA schools remain closed because of Israeli military operations, leaving more than 4,000 children learning remotely and in temporary spaces, the Wafa news agency reported.

At least 30,000 displaced individuals, about a third of whom are children, have been reported in the northern West Bank since January as a result of Israeli military operations. UNRWA highlighted unprecedented educational disruption from repeated Israeli raids on schools, vandalism, and the effects of displacement on students and ongoing violence.

UNRWA said that protecting the right to education is a top priority, reaffirming its commitment to the future of Palestinian refugee pupils. The agency affirmed that all children, including those in East Jerusalem, have the right to continue their education in a safe and dignified environment, according to Wafa.

The long road to Palestinian statehood
An Arab News Deep Dive

Enter


keywords

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al?Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al?Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben?Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.