Rare Russian maritime attack kills 2 Ukraine soldiers: Kyiv

Russia said a day earlier it had sunk a Ukrainian reconnaissance ship, the Simferopol, in the Danube River delta in one of its first successful hits with a naval drone. (X/@xinfolive)
Short Url
Updated 29 August 2025
Follow

Rare Russian maritime attack kills 2 Ukraine soldiers: Kyiv

  • Russia said a day earlier it had sunk a Ukrainian reconnaissance ship, the Simferopol, in the Danube River
  • “We are still searching for several soldiers,” who were on the targeted ship, Pletenchuk said

KYIV: A rare Russian attack on a Ukrainian warship killed two servicemen and others are unaccounted for, a spokesperson for Ukraine’s navy told AFP on Friday.

Russia said a day earlier it had sunk a Ukrainian reconnaissance ship, the Simferopol, in the Danube River delta in one of its first successful hits with a naval drone.

Ukraine’s admission that a ship was hit is rare, as both Moscow and Kyiv are reluctant to disclose military losses.

“We are still searching for several soldiers,” who were on the targeted ship, navy spokesperson Dmytro Pletenchuk told AFP. He declined to confirm the vessel had been hit by a drone or where the attack took place.

Others were wounded in the attack, Pletenchuk said.

Ukraine, which had a much smaller maritime presence than Russia before the invasion, has deployed naval drones to significant effect throughout the war since Russia’s 2022 invasion.

But for Russia they are a relatively new innovation. Its defense ministry published Thursday black-and-white footage of the claimed attack, which showed a large explosion on the water.

A string of successful Ukrainian naval drone attacks forced Russia to move its fleet out of the western part of the Black Sea earlier in the conflict.

Kyiv has also been able to open an export corridor along its southern coast to enable vital sales of agricultural goods.


Cuban FM to meet Putin Wednesday amid oil crisis: Kremlin

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Cuban FM to meet Putin Wednesday amid oil crisis: Kremlin

  • Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Wednesday, the Kremlin said
MOSCOW: Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Wednesday, the Kremlin said, in a visit to the socialist island’s traditional ally during a crippling US oil embargo.
Moscow has accused the United States of using “suffocating measures” against Havana and has said it was mulling sending aid to Cuba.
US President Donald Trump cut off key supplies of Venezuelan oil to Cuba after ousting Venezuela’s Nicolas Maduro. He has also threatened sanctions on countries that sell oil to Cuba.
The island has long grappled with a severe fuel shortage but the US embargo has deepened the crisis.
“Putin will receive Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin,” the Russian leader’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters, including AFP.
“The Russian Federation has consistently opposed the blockade of Cuba,” Peskov said, adding: “we provide assistance to our friends.”
Cuba has been allied to Moscow since its 1960s socialist revolution, relying on the Soviet Union for economic and political support for decades.
The Kremlin maintained close ties to the Caribbean island after the USSR collapsed.
Russia’s foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova earlier said Rodriguez was leading a Cuban delegation that is “currently in Moscow.”
Rodriguez will also hold talks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, Zakharova said.
Putin, an ex-KGB spy, visited Cuba in 2014, meeting with the island’s revolution leader Fidel Castro, who died two years later.