UN chief calls for accountability over ‘endless catalog of horrors in Gaza’ amid humanitarian collapse

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the worsening crisis in Gaza. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 28 August 2025
Follow

UN chief calls for accountability over ‘endless catalog of horrors in Gaza’ amid humanitarian collapse

  • Unprecedented humanitarian catastrophe, including famine, is result of decisions that defy ‘basic humanity,’ says Secretary-General Antonio Guterres
  • He demands Israel abide by provisional measures issued by International Court of Justice and lift the blockade on aid

NEW YORK CITY: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday condemned the worsening crisis in Gaza. He described “an endless catalog of horrors” in the territory and warned of catastrophic humanitarian consequences, as he called for immediate international action to address the situation and ensure accountability.

Guterres said civilians in Gaza were enduring “yet another deadly escalation” as Israel continues to signal plans for a military takeover of Gaza City. He called this a “new and dangerous phase” of the conflict that would have “devastating consequences,” including the displacement of hundreds of thousands of people already traumatized by months of violence.

“This must stop,” Guterres said. “Gaza is piled with rubble, piled with bodies, and piled with examples of what may be serious violations of international law.”

Citing recent airstrikes, he added that Israeli military operations have killed civilians, medical workers and journalists.

A double Israeli strike on Nasser hospital in Khan Younis killed 20 people on Monday, including health workers and journalists. At least one person was killed by the initial strike, and others in a second minutes later as rescuers and journalists rushed to the scene.

The five journalists who died worked for international media outlets, including the Associated Press, Reuters, Al Jazeera and Middle East Eye.

“These attacks are part of an endless catalog of horrors,” Guterres said. “There must be accountability.”

He also condemned Hamas and other armed groups for taking hostages and subjecting them to “atrocious treatment,” and demanded the immediate and unconditional release of all those being held.

He described the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza as beyond critical, warning that famine was no longer a looming threat but “a present-day catastrophe.” He said civilians were dying from hunger, women were giving birth under extreme conditions, and essential services such as water, healthcare and food systems had been “systematically dismantled.”

“These are the facts on the ground,” he added. “And they are the result of deliberate decisions that defy basic humanity.”

As the occupying power, Guterres said, Israel has a legal obligation to ensure the population has access to food, water and medical aid. He called for the implementation of binding provisional measures issued by the International Court of Justice, including the facilitation of full and immediate humanitarian access throughout Gaza, in cooperation with the UN.

He noted that 366 UN workers have been killed since the conflict escalated, and that humanitarian efforts were being “blocked, delayed and denied” on a daily basis. “This is unacceptable,” he added.

The secretary-general also addressed the deteriorating situation in the West Bank, citing increased military operations, settler violence and discriminatory policies. He warned that a recently approved plan to expand settlements there could effectively sever the northern West

Bank from the south of the territory, posing what he described as an “existential threat” to a two-state solution.

“I repeat: the Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem have been established, and are being maintained, in violation of international law,” Guterres said. “Israel must cease such actions and comply with its obligations.

“There is no military solution to this conflict. I appeal once again for an immediate and permanent ceasefire, unfettered humanitarian access across Gaza, and the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages.

“Starvation of the civilian population must never be used as a method of warfare. Civilians must be protected. Humanitarian access must be unimpeded. No more excuses. No more obstacles. No more lies.”


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.