Indonesia launches a measles vaccination campaign after 17 die in an outbreak

Health workers give measles vaccine to children during a measles vaccination campaign following an outbreak, in Sumenep, East Java, Indonesia, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 26 August 2025
Follow

Indonesia launches a measles vaccination campaign after 17 die in an outbreak

  • A major outbreak occurred in the easternmost province of Papua in 2018, causing dozens of deaths
  • Just 72 percent of Indonesia’s 22 million children under 5 received the measles vaccine last year, and in some provinces, vaccination rates were below 50 percent, according to data from Statistics Indonesia

SUMENEP, Indonesia: Hundreds of children in Indonesia lined up for free measles shots Monday as authorities rolled out a vaccination campaign in response to an outbreak that has caused 17 deaths.
More than 2,000 children were infected in East Java province over the past eight months, according to officials who said 16 of the 17 deaths occurred in Sumenep district. Sixteen patients were not immunized and one did not complete the vaccines, according to data from Sumenep District Health Agency.
Indonesia has reported previous outbreaks of the highly infectious disease, mostly driven by gaps in vaccination coverage in the world’s largest Muslim-majority nation.
A major outbreak occurred in the easternmost province of Papua in 2018, causing dozens of deaths. That year, the Indonesian Ulema Council reported the measles and rubella vaccine used for mass immunization programs contained pork. Use of the vaccine produced by the Serum Institute of India was permitted until a halal vaccine without pork could be found.
Just 72 percent of Indonesia’s 22 million children under 5 received the measles vaccine last year, and in some provinces, vaccination rates were below 50 percent, according to data from Statistics Indonesia.
Indonesian authorities have called on residents and community and religious leaders to support immunization efforts. The mass vaccination in Sumenep is targeting 78,000 children from 9 months to 6 years old.
“Otherwise, this disease, measles, will spread further among our children. It will be even more fatal in the future,” said Imam Hasyim, deputy chief of Sumenep district.
Globally, the World Health Organization says 84 percent of children received the first dose of measles vaccine last year, and 76 percent had received two doses. But experts say measles vaccine rates need to reach 95 percent to prevent outbreaks.
WHO noted that 60 countries reported big measles outbreaks last year.
 

 


US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

Updated 1 sec ago
Follow

US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

  • DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms
‌The US Department of Homeland Security will temporarily suspend from Sunday its PreCheck and Global Entry programs that speed airport security checks for some travelers, the Washington Post said, due to a shutdown at much of the agency.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited an ‌agency spokesperson as ‌saying on Saturday.
DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS is taking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send ⁠it more money, the paper ‌said.
The agency is “making ‌tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and prioritizing ‌the “general traveling population” at entry points, the ‌paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem as saying in a statement.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond ‌to a request for comment.
TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through ⁠a dedicated, ⁠faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times and streamline screening.
Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the United States.
On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a part of the DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas, due to the DHS shutdown.