Rome summons Russian envoy over Italy president on ‘Russophobe’ list

Italy on Wednesday summoned Russia's ambassador after Moscow included Italian President Sergio Mattarella on a list of Western officials critical of the Kremlin. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 30 July 2025
Follow

Rome summons Russian envoy over Italy president on ‘Russophobe’ list

  • Italy’s foreign ministry said it considered “the inclusion of the head of state in this list a provocation against the republic and the Italian people“
  • Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz is also on the list

ROME: Italy on Wednesday summoned Russia’s ambassador after Moscow included Italian President Sergio Mattarella on a list of Western officials critical of the Kremlin.

Relations between Rome and Moscow — already strained by the Kremlin’s Ukraine invasion — have dipped further in recent days, with Italy canceling a concert last week of a pro-Kremlin maestro.

Italy’s foreign ministry said it considered “the inclusion of the head of state in this list a provocation against the republic and the Italian people.”

Moscow included Mattarella on its foreign ministry list of Western officials whom it accuses of using “the language of hatred” against Russia.

Other European leaders, such as Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz, are also on the list.

As president, Mattarella occupies a largely ceremonial role.

But Moscow has said it included him on its list for having compared Moscow’s aggression in Ukraine to Nazi Germany.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has been a staunch advocate of Kyiv, with Italy hosting a conference on Ukraine’s recovery earlier this month.

In a statement Wednesday, she expressed solidarity for Mattarella and said his inclusion on the list was “nothing more than yet another propaganda operation aimed at diverting attention from Moscow’s serious responsibilities.”

Italy has taken in thousands of Ukrainian refugees since Moscow’s 2022 invasion of the country.


Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of Daesh militants from Syrian camp

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of Daesh militants from Syrian camp

  • The return of relatives of suspected Daesh ⁠militants ⁠is a political issue in Australia, which has seen a surge in popularity of the right-wing

Australia’s center-left government ‌on Sunday rejected a local media report that said it was working to repatriate Australians in a ​Syrian camp holding families of suspected Daesh militants. The 34 women and children were released on Monday from the camp in northern Syria, but returned to the detention center due to technical reasons. The group is expected to travel to ‌Damascus before eventually returning ‌to Australia, despite ​objections from ‌ruling ⁠and ​opposition lawmakers.
On ⁠Sunday, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke rejected claims made in a report in the Sunday Telegraph, asserting that official preparations were under way for the cohort’s return.
“In that report, it makes a claim that ⁠we are conducting a repatriation. We are ‌not,” Burke told ‌Australian Broadcasting Corp. television.
“It claims ​we have been ‌meeting with the states for the purposes of ‌a repatriation. We have not,” Burke added. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who leads Australia’s Labour Party, said this week his government would not help ‌the group return to Australia.
The return of relatives of suspected Daesh ⁠militants ⁠is a political issue in Australia, which has seen a surge in popularity of the right-wing, anti-immigration One Nation party led by Pauline Hanson.
Daesh, the Sunni Muslim militant group, is listed as a terrorist organization in Australia, with membership of the group punishable by up to 25 years in prison. Australia also has the power to ​strip dual nationals ​of citizenship if they are a Daesh member.