Pakistan welcomes World Bank stance on Indus Waters Treaty amid India suspension row

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif (right)in conversation with Regional President of the World Bank, Ousmane Dione in Islamabad on July 24, 2025. (Government of Pakistan)
Short Url
Updated 24 July 2025
Follow

Pakistan welcomes World Bank stance on Indus Waters Treaty amid India suspension row

  • Shehbaz Sharif discusses World Bank’s Country Partnership Framework with its regional vice president
  • He also thanks the Bank for its assistance during Pakistan’s 2022 floods that killed over 1,700 people

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday welcomed the World Bank’s position against India’s unilateral suspension of the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT), describing it as “principled support” for Pakistan during a meeting with the Bank’s regional vice president, Ousmane Dione, who is currently visiting the country.

The IWT, brokered by the World Bank and signed in 1960, governs water sharing between India and Pakistan. Earlier this year, New Delhi announced it was placing the treaty “in abeyance” following a militant attack in Indian-administered Kashmir that killed 26 tourists.

Indian authorities blamed the attack on Pakistan, a charge Islamabad denied while calling for a transparent and impartial international investigation.

The incident also triggered a four-day military standoff between the two nuclear-armed neighbors, which ended with a US-brokered ceasefire on May 10.

“The Prime Minister appreciated the World Bank’s principled support for Pakistan’s legitimate position in light of India’s unilateral and illegal actions to undermine a key international agreement like the Indus Waters Treaty,” said a statement issued by the Prime Minister’s Office after Sharif’s meeting with Dione.

“He reaffirmed Pakistan’s commitment to international law, the pursuit of prosperity, and the maintenance of regional peace, and expressed his resolve to address all issues through dialogue,” it added.

The World Bank’s stance aligns with comments made by its president, Ajay Banga, in May, when he clarified that the IWT contains no provision for unilateral suspension or withdrawal, and that any changes to the agreement must be made mutually by both India and Pakistan.

Banga also noted the Bank’s role in the treaty is strictly administrative, to appoint dispute-resolution experts and manage a trust fund when required, adding the institution has no authority to intervene in political decisions by either country.

During their meeting, Sharif and Dione discussed ongoing development cooperation, including the World Bank’s Country Partnership Framework (CPF), a strategic roadmap for investments in energy, education, governance reforms, and climate resilience.

The prime minister also thanked the Bank for its “swift and generous assistance” during Pakistan’s 2022 floods, which killed over 1,700 people, displaced millions and devastated agricultural land and public infrastructure.

Dione, the Bank’s regional vice president for the Middle East, North Africa, Afghanistan and Pakistan (MENAAP), reaffirmed his institution’s commitment to deepening its engagement with Pakistan.

He praised the country’s ongoing macroeconomic stabilization efforts and expressed confidence in the current administration’s reform agenda aimed at restoring investor confidence and promoting inclusive, sustainable growth.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”