One billion Africans being harmed by cooking pollution

Two billion people across the world still cook on open fires or with rudimentary stoves fed by wood, charcoal, agricultural waste or manure, an International Energy Agency report says. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 21 July 2025
Follow

One billion Africans being harmed by cooking pollution

  • The IEA estimates that 815,000 premature deaths occur each year in Africa alone due to poor indoor air quality, largely resulting from a lack of access to clean cooking methods

PARIS: One billion Africans have to cook on open fires or with fuel that is hazardous to their health and the environment, the International Energy Agency said Friday.
The problem, which its report says can be easily solved, causes as much greenhouse gas emissions every year as the aviation industry.
Two billion people across the world still cook on open fires or with rudimentary stoves fed by wood, charcoal, agricultural waste or manure, the IEA report found.
"It is one of the greatest injustices of our time, especially in Africa," IEA head Fatih Birol told AFP, where four out of five households rely on open fires and burning wood.
These fuels pollute the air both indoors and outdoors with fine particles that penetrate the lungs and cause multiple respiratory and cardiovascular problems, the report said.
It also adds to the destruction of forests, natural sinks that trap carbon and help fight global warming.
The IEA estimates that 815,000 premature deaths occur each year in Africa alone due to poor indoor air quality, largely resulting from a lack of access to clean cooking methods.
Women and children suffer the most, spending hours each day searching for fuel and keeping the fire going.
This takes time away from paid employment or education, the report said.

A landmark IEA summit on the issue, held in Paris in May last year raised $2.2 billion in public and private sector commitments, as well as political pledges from 12 African governments.
Since then $470 million has been distributed, with concrete results already being seen, Birol insisted, citing a stove factory under construction in Malawi and an affordable stove programme developed in Uganda and Ivory Coast.
The IEA report assesses the progress made a year after the summit and sets out a roadmap for African countries to be able to use clean cooking methods at low cost before 2040.
Since 2010, nearly 1.5 billion people in Asia and Latin America, particularly in Brazil, India, and Indonesia, have got access to modern cooking stoves and fuels.
But the challenge remains immense in sub-Saharan Africa, where the number of people without access to clean cooking methods continues to grow.
"For once and for ever this problem can be solved with an annual investment of $2 billion per year," Birol said.
He stressed that the figure "is about 0.1 percent of global energy investment, which is nothing".
Alternative solutions are well known: electricity from solar panels, renewable gas and especially liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), a fossil fuel, which, while not ideal, is preferable than the loss of carbon sinks due to tree felling, Birol said.
The IEA said this would prevent 4.7 million premature deaths in sub-Saharan Africa by 2040 and reduce the continent's greenhouse gas emissions by 540 million tons per year, as much as the equivalent of the annual emissions of the global aviation sector.
 


At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island

  • An accident occurred when the vessel approached the migrants’ wooden boat
  • The search for survivors was continuing with four patrol boats

ATHENS: The bodies of three migrants were picked up in waters off the Greek island of Crete during a rescue effort involving a commercial ship, authorities said Friday.
Twenty migrants were rescued by the commercial vessel which was directed to the area on the orders of the Greek Search and Rescue Center.
According to Greek public broadcaster ERT, an accident occurred when the vessel approached the migrants’ wooden boat. As the passengers tried to climb up ladders into the vessel a sudden movement caused the small boat to capsize.
The search for survivors was continuing with four patrol boats, an aircraft, and two ships from the European border agency Frontex, a spokesperson for the Greek coast guard told AFP.
According to ERT, survivors said about 50 people were aboard the wooden boat.
A second boat carrying around forty migrants was spotted in the area, triggering another rescue operation.
For over a year, migrants have been attempting the perilous crossing from Libya to Crete, the gateway to the European Union.
According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), more than 16,770 people seeking asylum in the EU arrived in Crete in 2025.
Faced with the surge in arrivals, the conservative Greek government suspended the processing of asylum applications for three months last summer, particularly for those arriving from Libya.
UNHCR says 107 people died or went missing in Greek waters in 2025.