Semafor appoints Saudi Arabia bureau chief as part of regional expansion

Matthew Martin, who has over two decades of journalistic experience, was most recently Bloomberg’s chief correspondent for SWFs in the Middle East and North Africa region. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 09 July 2025
Follow

Semafor appoints Saudi Arabia bureau chief as part of regional expansion

  • Matthew Martin to also serve as global head of sovereign wealth fund coverage

DUBAI: Semafor has appointed Matthew Martin as its Saudi Arabia bureau chief and global head of sovereign wealth fund coverage as the news platform expands its Gulf edition.

He will head the growing team in Riyadh and be a part of the wider editorial staff led by Semafor Gulf editor Mohammed Sergie.

Martin, who has over two decades of journalistic experience, was most recently Bloomberg’s chief correspondent for SWFs in the Middle East and North Africa region.

His focus was the role of SWFs in promoting local economies, diversification, investing for a post-oil future, and projecting soft power internationally.

Prior to this, he served as Bloomberg’s Saudi Arabia bureau chief and was responsible for the network’s coverage of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Yemen.

He has been with Bloomberg since 2013, and moved from Dubai to Riyadh in January 2021, where his reporting focused on Saudi Arabia, particularly Aramco and the Kingdom’s Public Investment Fund.

“Matt is the definitive reporter on one of the world’s biggest stories, Saudi Arabia’s transformation of itself and much of the world around it,” said Ben Smith, co-founder and editor-in-chief of Semafor.

Martin’s appointment “marks a major step forward in Semafor’s ambition to become the leading global media presence in the Gulf,” said Justin Smith, co-founder and CEO of Semafor (no relation to Ben).

He added: “We are not just covering the region but also how the ascendant Gulf story relates to the key corridors of US power and influence — Washington D.C., Wall Street and Silicon Valley — as well as the emerging ties between the Gulf and the African continent through collaborations with our Semafor Africa edition.”

As Semafor continues to expand, its reporting will soon “closely track Gulf-Asia and Gulf-EU corridors of influence as well,” Justin Smith said.

Semafor Gulf launched in September 2024, marking the firm’s third edition, joining its US and sub-Saharan Africa newsletters.

Since then, the platform’s reporting has included the UAE’s plan to invest $1.4 trillion in the US, the state of foreign consulting in Saudi Arabia, OPEC+ strategy, and Gulf-Israel relations.


Journalist working for German media arrested in Turkiye

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Journalist working for German media arrested in Turkiye

  • A Turkish journalist working for the German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) has been arrested on accusations of “spreading false news” and “insulting the president“

ISTANBUL: A Turkish journalist working for the German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) has been arrested on accusations of “spreading false news” and “insulting the president,” the Istanbul prosecutor’s office has said.
Alican Uludag was arrested in Ankara on Thursday, the office said, on charges stemming from posts on a social media account.
Uludag’s lawyer said the journalist was being targeted for articles written for DW about the repatriation of Turkish citizens affiliated with the Daesh group.
“Alican Uludag was taken into custody (...) because of his article entitled ‘Turkiye Prepares to Repatriate Turkish Citizens Affiliated with the Islamic State’,” said attorney Tora Pekin.
Deutsche Welle said late Thursday that the “charges refer to a message published on X about a year and a half ago” in which Uludag “criticized measures taken by the Turkish government that allegedly led to the release of possible Daesh terrorists” and “accused the government of corruption.”
He was “arrested and taken away in front of his family by about thirty police officers. His home was searched and computer equipment was seized,” it said.
He is due to appear before prosecutors in Istanbul on Friday, the prosecutor’s office said.
According to a representative of Reporters Without Borders (RSF), Erol Onderoglu, “the arrest of Alican Uludag is part of a process of judicial harassment against serious journalists.”
The media watchdog group denounced “the relentless arbitrary practices that are now targeting a journalist who may have disturbed the authorities because of his investigations.”
DW chief Barbara Massing demanded Uludag’s immediate release.
“That a journalist is treated like a common criminal, taken away by some thirty police officers and immediately transferred to Istanbul, constitutes targeted intimidation and shows the extent to which the government is massively repressing press freedom,” she said in a statement.