Semafor Gulf launches with lineup of expert contributors

Short Url
Updated 16 September 2024
Follow

Semafor Gulf launches with lineup of expert contributors

  • Semafor’s third edition will join US, sub-Saharan Africa iterations
  • Focus on global effects of region’s business, finance, geopolitics

LONDON: News platform Semafor launched its Gulf edition on Monday with former Dow Jones reporter Mohammed Sergie as editor, supported by a roster of local and international journalists, editors and analysts.

Joining Sergie at the platform is former Beirut-based Washington Post Middle East correspondent Sarah Dadoush, and Kelsey Warner, the former editor of UAE-based media startup The Circuit.

The new platform, which includes a thrice-weekly newsletter, will examine how the region’s financial, business, and geopolitical direction shape the world. The coverage will include culture, investment, infrastructure, climate and technology, as well as the dramatic transformations of the Gulf states.

Semafor Gulf marks the firm’s third edition, which joins its US and sub-Saharan Africa newsletters as it expands across the globe.

Contributors to the latest Semafor edition include prominent voices from Riyadh, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and around the region. They will work in concert with Semafor’s topflight business reporters in New York, its technology journalists in San Francisco, and its Washington D.C. bureau.

The experienced lineup includes veteran journalist, editor and former Bloomberg energy correspondent Wael Mahdi, and award-winning international journalist and host at Al Arabiya Hadley Gamble.

Other contributors will include Omar Al-Ubaydli, an affiliated associate professor of economics at George Mason University and senior research fellow at the Mercatus Center in Washington, D.C., Arab News editor-in-chief Faisal Abbas as well as Camilla Wright, an award-winning journalist and media commentator.

“The Gulf is this incredibly important site for politics, and these things (politics and other topics like economy and business) are intertwined,” Ben Smith, co-founder and editor-in-chief of Semafor, told Arab News in a previous interview.

While global legacy news media brands usually report for their home country, Semafor Gulf aims to “flip that on its head and actually report for the region and the world interested in the region,” Justin Smith, co-founder and CEO of Semafor (no relation to Ben), told Arab News in a previous interview.




Semafor co-founders Ben Smith and Justin Smith.
​​

“My understanding is that some of the big global English-language news brands have not necessarily invested as aggressively into the Gulf region, commensurate with the growth of the Gulf story,” he said.

Representative pre-launch coverage includes scoops on Nvidia’s plans to sell chips to Saudi Arabia and tensions in the office of a major global consulting firm in the UAE.

In addition, the company has established digital and event collaborations with some of the region’s top brands across a diverse range of sectors.

Joining Semafor Gulf as its inaugural launch partners are First Abu Dhabi Bank, G42, Mubadala, and Invest Qatar.

This expansion builds on the company’s success since its 2022 launch, having built a global audience of over 700,000 subscriptions across nine premium newsletters.

The firm was named as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2024 for “rewriting the story on international reporting.”


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.