At least 57 killed, 99 injured since June 26 as monsoon rains batter Pakistan

Motorists make their way along a road as it rains in Islamabad, Pakistan, on June 26, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 01 July 2025
Follow

At least 57 killed, 99 injured since June 26 as monsoon rains batter Pakistan

  • NDMA warns of more downpours, flash floods and landslides through July 5
  • Punjab disaster management authority issues emergency alert in five districts

KARACHI: Torrential monsoon rains have killed at least 57 people and injured 99 across Pakistan since June 26, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said, warning of continued downpours, flash floods and landslides through July 5.

According to the NDMA, 28 children, 17 men and 12 women were among the dead, while the injured included 39 children, 33 men and 27 women. Most casualties were caused by flash floods, followed by roof collapses, drowning, lightning strikes, electrocution and landslides.

The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province reported the highest number of fatalities, 22, followed by Punjab with 17, Sindh with 13 and Balochistan with five. Punjab also recorded the most injuries, 50, followed by 33 in Sindh, 11 in KP, three in Azad Jammu and Kashmir and two in Balochistan.

“Moderate rainfall with one or two heavy falls is expected over the upper catchments of all the major rivers along with north and northeast Punjab,” the NDMA said in its latest situation report on Monday, warning of more downpours until July 5.

The authority said weather conditions could disrupt transport in hilly regions and damage communication and electricity infrastructure.

The NDMA has urged provincial and local authorities to stay on high alert throughout the monsoon season, particularly in mountainous and low-lying areas. Citizens have been advised to avoid unnecessary travel to tourist sites and monitor weather updates via the NDMA’s mobile app.

The warnings follow a deadly flash flood last week in Swat Valley that swept away 17 members of a single tourist family during a sudden rise in water levels. Twelve bodies have been recovered so far, according to rescue officials, with search operations ongoing for the remaining person. The slow emergency response to the incident triggered widespread condemnation in the media and online.

As monsoon activity intensifies, the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) in Punjab also issued an emergency directive to district authorities in Sialkot, Narowal, Gujranwala, Dera Ghazi Khan and Rajanpur to prepare for possible flash flooding.

The order, issued on Tuesday, instructs district commissioners and emergency services to activate 24-hour emergency operation centers, conduct patrols at vulnerable riverine and hilly sites, and ban public swimming at rivers, canals and picnic spots.

“All relevant departments must remain alert during the monsoon season,”Director General PDMA Irfan Ali Kathia said in the directive, adding that rescue boats, life jackets, ropes and emergency medicine should be pre-positioned in high-risk zones.

The PDMA also imposed Section 144 to prohibit river crossings without life jackets and overloading of passenger boats, warning of strict legal action against violators.

Pakistan, home to over 240 million people, is one of the countries most vulnerable to the effects of climate change, facing increasingly frequent and intense weather events such as heatwaves, droughts and torrential rains.

In 2022, a combination of heavy monsoon rains and glacial melt caused catastrophic floods that killed more than 1,700 people and caused damage estimated at over $33 billion.


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.