At least 1.2 million Afghans forced to return from Iran and Pakistan this year — UN

Afghan refugees who returned after fleeing Iran to escape deportation and conflict gather at a UNHCR facility near the Islam Qala crossing in western Herat province, Afghanistan on June 20, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 28 June 2025
Follow

At least 1.2 million Afghans forced to return from Iran and Pakistan this year — UN

  • Iran has deported over 366,000 Afghans this year, with the 12-day war increasing departures
  • Pakistani officials have set a June 30 deadline for nearly 1.3 million Afghan nationals to leave

ISLAMABAD: At least 1.2 million Afghans have been forced to return from Iran and Pakistan this year, the UN refugee agency said Saturday, warning that repatriations on a massive scale have the potential to destabilize the fragile situation in Afghanistan.

Iran and Pakistan in 2023 launched separate campaigns to expel foreigners they said were living in the country illegally. They set deadlines and threatened them with deportation if they didn’t leave. The two governments deny targeting Afghans, who have fled their homeland to escape war, poverty or Taliban rule.

The UN high commissioner for refugees said that of the 1.2 million returning Afghans, more than half had come from Iran following a March 20 government deadline for them to leave voluntarily or face expulsion.

Iran has deported more than 366,000 Afghans this year, including refugees and people in refugee-like situations, according to the agency.

Iran’s 12-day war with Israel also has driven departures. The highest number of returns was on June 26, when 36,100 Afghans crossed the border in one day.

“Afghan families are being uprooted once again, arriving with scant belongings, exhausted, hungry, scared about what awaits them in a country many of them have never even set foot in,” said Arafat Jamal, the UNHCR representative in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

He said women and girls are particularly worried, as they fear the restrictions on freedom of movement and basic rights such as education and employment.

More than half Afghanistan relies on humanitarian assistance. But opposition to Taliban policies and widespread funding cuts are worsening the situation, with aid agencies and nongovernmental organizations cutting back on basic services like education and health care.

IRAN URGES FOREIGNERS TO LEAVE QUICKLY

Iran’s attorney general, Mohammad Movahedi Azad, said Saturday that foreigners in the country illegally should leave as soon as possible or face prosecution, state media reported.

“Foreign nationals, especially brothers and sisters from Afghanistan whom we have hosted for years, help us [so] that illegal individuals leave Iran in the shortest period,” the official IRNA news agency quoted Azad as saying.

Iranian authorities said in April that out of more than 6 million Afghans, up to 2.5 million were in the country illegally.

Iran’s top diplomat in Kabul, Ali Reza Bikdeli, visited the Dogharoun border crossing with Afghanistan and promised to facilitate the repatriation of Afghans, state TV reported.

Iranians have complained about the increasing presence of Afghans in recent months, with some accusing them of spying for Israel since the outbreak of the war.

TALIBAN PLEDGE AMNESTY

Earlier this month, on the religious festival of Eid Al-Adha, the Taliban prime minister said all Afghans who fled the country after the collapse of the former Western-backed government were free to return, promising they would be safe.

“Afghans who have left the country should return to their homeland,” Mohammad Hassan Akhund said in a message on X. “Nobody will harm them. Come back to your ancestral land and live in an atmosphere of peace.”

On Saturday, a high-ranking ministerial delegation traveled to western Herat province to meet some of the Afghans returning from Iran.

The officials pledged “swift action to address the urgent needs of the returnees and ensure that essential services and support are provided to ease their reintegration,” according to a statement from the Taliban deputy spokesman Hamdullah Fitrat on X.

People get food, temporary accommodation and access to health care upon their return, said Ahmadullah Muttaqi, the director of information and culture in Herat. Everyone receives 2,000 Afghanis, or $28.50, in cash and is taken free of charge to their home provinces.

“Upon arrival, they are housed in designated camps until permanent housing is arranged, as residential townships are currently under construction in every province for them,” he told The Associated Press.

Meanwhile, Pakistani authorities have set a June 30 deadline for some 1.3 million Afghans to leave. Pakistan aims to expel a total of 3 million Afghans this year.


Pakistan plans digital wheat tracking system, steps up Ramadan price monitoring

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan plans digital wheat tracking system, steps up Ramadan price monitoring

  • Government says adequate stocks available ahead of the upcoming harvesting season
  • It instructs provinces to prevent flour price spikes during the holy month of Ramadan

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan plans to introduce digital traceability and tighter supply chain monitoring in its wheat procurement system under a new long-term policy, the food security ministry said on Saturday, as authorities move to curb price volatility during Ramadan.

The announcement followed a meeting of the National Wheat Oversight Committee chaired by Federal Minister for National Food Security and Research Rana Tanveer Hussain to review procurement arrangements, stock availability and price stability measures ahead of the upcoming harvesting season.

The review comes after riverine floods during last year’s monsoon season damaged farmlands in parts of eastern Punjab, the country’s main wheat-producing region, raising concerns about crop output. Officials at the meeting, however, expressed satisfaction over existing wheat stocks, saying sufficient supplies were available across provinces to meet national consumption needs until the arrival of the new crop.

“The Federal Minister emphasized that the current procurement framework will remain applicable for one year,” the statement said. “He stated that the Federal Government is working on a comprehensive long-term wheat policy for the period 2026–2030, aimed at strengthening national food security through modern reforms.”

“He highlighted that the upcoming policy will focus on digital traceability mechanisms, improved supply chain monitoring, enhanced transparency, and sustained price stability, enabling better coordination between the federal and provincial governments,” the statement added.

The committee was informed that the illustrative wheat procurement price has been fixed at 3,500 rupees ($12.55) per 40 kilograms, and provinces have been asked to ensure smooth implementation of procurement operations.

Special emphasis was also placed on consumer protection during Ramadan.

“The Federal Minister directed all provinces to ensure strict market monitoring and take effective administrative measures to prevent any unnecessary increase in flour prices,” the statement continued.