Brazil signs Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti 1 year ahead of 2026 World Cup

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti waves as he walks on the pitch with his players during the club’s celebration of their 14th European Cup at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium, May 29, 2022. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 May 2025
Follow

Brazil signs Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti 1 year ahead of 2026 World Cup

  • CBF President Ednaldo Rodrigues: ‘Bringing Ancelotti to coach Brazil is more than a strategic movement. It is a statement that we are determined to recover the top of the podium’
  • Rodrigues: ‘He is the greatest coach in history and, now, he will be with the greatest national team on the planet. Together, we will write new glorious chapters of Brazilian soccer’

SAO PAULO: Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti will leave the Spanish club and take over as coach of Brazil’s national team, the Brazilian soccer federation said Monday.

The 65-year-old Ancelotti, who will be Brazil’s first full-time foreign coach in a century, is still under contract with Madrid. The last round of the Spanish league will be on May 25 and the CBF said in a statement that he will officially take over Brazil the following day.

“Bringing Carlo Ancelotti to coach Brazil is more than a strategic movement. It is a statement to the world that we are determined to recover the top of the podium,” CBF President Ednaldo Rodrigues said in a statement. “He is the greatest coach in history and, now, he will be with the greatest national team on the planet. Together, we will write new glorious chapters of Brazilian soccer.”

Rodrigues said Ancelotti will take charge of Brazil’s next two fixtures in South American World Cup qualifying, with his debut at Ecuador on June 5th and five days later in front of home fans against Paraguay in Sao Paulo.

Ancelotti’s contract with Madrid ends next year but is expected to be terminated early.

He will replace Dorival Junior, who held the job for 14 months and was fired in March after a 4-1 defeat at Argentina. Brazil lags in 4th position in World Cup qualifying after 14 matches and has its 33-year-old star Neymar still in difficulties to return to top form after an ACL injury in 2023.

The top six teams will secure direct spots in next year’s tournament.

Ancelotti leaves Madrid after a frustrating season in which the team did not defend its European title and saw rival Barcelona win the
Copa del Rey and get close to securing the league title after a 4-3 victory over Madrid on Sunday.

The Italian coach and Real Madrid are yet to comment on CBF’s announcement.

Ancelotti’s signing ends a turbulent time on Brazil’s bench since Tite left after the 2022 World Cup quarterfinals elimination against Croatia. Under-20 coach Ramon Menezes and Fluminense coach Fernando Diniz took charge for several matches as Rodriguez sought Ancelotti to become coach.

Menezes and Diniz both fared poorly, and Ancelotti extended his deal with Madrid during that span. Dorival Júnior was then chosen in 2024 to take the team to the World Cup, but he was also fired after the same lack of success and unimpressive performances.

Former Al-Hilal coach Jorge Jesus, a 70-year-old Portuguese who won several titles with Brazil’s Flamengo in 2019, was the favorite to take the Brazil job until Madrid was knocked out of the Champions League by Arsenal earlier in April.

Brazil will be Ancelotti’s first international experience as full-time coach. He was an assistant to Arrigo Sacchi in the 1994 World Cup as Italy lost to Brazil in the final on penalties.

That ended a 24-year World Cup title drought for Brazil, the same time frame it will face next year in the United States, Mexico and Canada.

Ancelotti, who won Serie A titles as a player with Roma and AC Milan plus two European titles with the latter as a creative midfielder, started his full-time coaching career in 1995 at Italy’s Reggiana.

He’s also coached Parma, Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich, Napoli and Everton, winning titles in Italy, England, Spain, France and Germany.

He twice won the Champions League with Milan 2003 and 2007, and added three more titles with Real Madrid in 2014, 2022 and last year.

Ancelotti will be only the second foreign coach to take Brazil into an international tournament.

The first was Uruguayan Ramon Platero, who coached Brazil in the 1925 South American championship, the predecessor of the current Copa America. He was on the job for 19 days and four matches of a round-robin competition with Paraguay and Argentina, with two wins, one loss and one draw in the final with Argentina, who lifted the title.

Portuguese coach Jorge Gomes de Lima, known as Joreca, shared Brazil’s coach position with local Flavio Costa in two friendly victories over Uruguay in 1944.

And in 1965 Argentine coach Filpo Nunez coached Brazil for one day. Nunez was Palmeiras’ coach, and Brazil’s soccer body chose the Sao Paulo-based club to play with national team shirts in a friendly against Uruguay in the opening of the Mineirao Stadium in Belo Horizonte. The hosts won 3-0.

The announcement of Ancelotti’s departure came a day after Madrid lost its fourth straight match to Barcelona this season, falling seven points behind the Catalan rival with three rounds remaining.

Former player Xabi Alonso is widely expected to take over the club’s helm after he confirmed his departure from Bayer Leverkusen.

Alonso led Leverkusen to an unprecedented German league and cup double last year in his first full season after taking over the team when it was in the Bundesliga’s relegation zone the season before. He starred as a player as Madrid won a Spanish league title in 2012 and the 2014 Champions League before leaving for three Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich.

Madrid still has to play in the upcoming Club World Cup beginning next month.


World No. 1 duo Coello, Tapia headline historic padel exhibition in Abu Dhabi

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

World No. 1 duo Coello, Tapia headline historic padel exhibition in Abu Dhabi

  • Stars play against each other in UAE’s capital  

ABU DHABI: The world’s top-ranked padel players delivered a memorable showcase in the UAE’s capital on Wednesday as “The Ultimate Padel Match” lit up Space42 Arena at Al-Raha Beach.

Arturo Coello — the youngest player in history to reach the FIP (International Padel Federation) world No. 1 ranking — and Agustin Tapia, the joint world No. 1 renowned for his creative and attacking style, headlined a rare one-night exhibition that split the sport’s most dominant partnership.

Played outside the official professional tour calendar, the event saw Coello join forces with Spain’s Jorge “Coki” Nieto, the current FIP world No. 7 and winner of the 2024 Premier Padel Finals, while Tapia paired with Argentine World Champion Federico Chingotto, the FIP world No. 3 recognized for his exceptional defensive court coverage.

In front of an enthusiastic crowd, Tapia and Chingotto claimed a 7–6, 2–6, 6–3 victory in a high-quality contest that marked a first-of-its-kind showcase for fans in Abu Dhabi.

For Coello, the return to the capital of the UAE was as meaningful off the court as it was on it.

He said: “It’s our second time here, and it’s a real pleasure to play here and be in this city. Padel is growing a lot in Abu Dhabi, and today you could really feel how much people enjoyed the match. It’s an amazing event, and I hope people continue to enjoy and discover this sport.”

The Spaniard also underlined the importance of exhibition matches in accelerating the sport’s development in emerging markets.

“Padel is still quite new here, but when people can see the level we play at, it helps them connect with the game,” he said. “It’s a great moment for fans to start practicing and enjoying padel.”

Tapia echoed those sentiments, pointing to the role of such events in strengthening the local padel community.

He said: “I’m really happy to be back in Abu Dhabi. Padel is growing a lot in the city and across the country, and exhibition matches like this help bring the community together and contribute to that growth.”

Looking ahead, the Argentine player expressed hope of returning to compete again in the capital.

He said he “would love to come back,” before adding that “hopefully Abu Dhabi can host more tournaments in the future, so we can keep playing here.”

Beyond the court, both players embraced the cultural side of their visit. Coello described trips to the Zayed National Museum and Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque as highlights of his stay, calling them “an incredible experience.”

The unique format — pitting the world’s leading duo against each other rather than alongside one another — resonated strongly with spectators.

Danny Al-Abadi, 18, who traveled from Dubai to attend the event, said: “You don’t get many chances to see this level of padel up close. Seeing the best in the world compete against each other instead of together made it even more special, and matches like this really help people understand the sport better.”

“The Ultimate Padel Match” further reinforced Abu Dhabi’s growing status as a destination for world-class sporting events, while offering fans a rare opportunity to witness elite padel outside the structure of the professional tour.