US embassy in Syria warns of increased risk of attacks

A man sits in front of a wall painted in the colors of a Syrian flag under Bashar Assad’s rule, in the Al-Qadam neighborhood in Damascus, Syria, March 26, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 29 March 2025
Follow

US embassy in Syria warns of increased risk of attacks

  • “The US Department of State cautions US citizens of the increased possibility of attacks during Eid Al-Fitr holiday,” said a statement posted on the embassy website
  • “Methods of attack could include... individual attackers, armed gunmen, or the use of explosive devices“

DAMASCUS: The US embassy in Syria has warned its citizens of an “increased possibility” of attacks during the upcoming holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
“The US Department of State cautions US citizens of the increased possibility of attacks during Eid Al-Fitr holiday, which could target embassies, international organizations, and Syrian public institutions in Damascus,” said a statement posted on the embassy website late Friday.
“Methods of attack could include... individual attackers, armed gunmen, or the use of explosive devices,” it added, without elaborating on specific threats or who may be behind them.
Eid Al-Fitr, marking the end of the Ramadan fasting month, is expected begin in the coming days but its exact timing will be determined by the sighting of the crescent moon, in accordance with the Muslim lunar calendar.

Security in Syria remains tenuous after Islamist-led forces overthrew longtime ruler Bashar Assad in December following nearly 14 years of war that erupted with the brutal repression of anti-government protests in 2011.
Washington advises its citizens not to travel to Syria “due to the significant risks of terrorism, civil unrest, kidnapping, hostage-taking, armed conflict, and unjust detention,” according to the statement.
The embassy’s operations have been suspended since 2012.
A French diplomatic source said on Saturday that “messages have been passed to French citizens currently in Syria about a heightened terror risk.”
A worker at a United Nations body, requesting anonymity, told AFP that employees at international organizations in Syria had received a warning email about public gatherings that urged precautionary measures in the coming week.
War-torn Syria is awash with weapons and for years has been home to myriad armed groups and fighters including militants.
Syria’s transitional authorities face the daunting task maintaining security in the ethnically and religiously diverse country whose new security forces are still dominated by former Islamist rebels.
The interior ministry said Saturday that forces had raided a “hideout of (Assad) regime remnants” in the central city of Homs, seizing weapons and explosives that were to be used for unspecified “terrorist acts” in the area.
The ministry regularly announces security operations, including the confiscation of weapons, in various locations.
Last month, authorities arrested an alleged Daesh group commander accused of planning a foiled attempt to blow up a revered Shiite Muslim shrine near Damascus.
It was the first time Syria’s new authorities said they had foiled an Daesh attack.
Daesh seized large swathes of Syrian and Iraqi territory in the early years of Syria’s civil war, declaring a cross-border “caliphate” in 2014.
US-backed Kurdish-led forces in Syria territorially defeated Daesh in 2019, but the militants have maintained a presence in the country’s vast desert.


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.