‘Steadfast’ Gazans begin second Ramadan among rubble

Palestinians gather for a communal iftar, or fast-breaking meal, on the first day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, amid building rubble in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on March 1, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 March 2025
Follow

‘Steadfast’ Gazans begin second Ramadan among rubble

  • Israeli bombardment or fighting has displaced almost the entire population and triggered widespread hunger, according to the United Nations

RAFAH, Palestinian Territories: A red-covered table stretching several hundred meters carved a path through mounds of rubble in southern Gaza on Saturday, as families gathered to break their fast during the first day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
As the sun set over a neighborhood in Rafah, where fighting between Israel and Palestinian militants has left barely a handful of buildings standing, hundreds of Gazans of all ages dug into their Iftar meal marking the end of the day’s fast.
“People are deeply saddened, and everything around us feels heartbreaking,” said Malak Fadda, who had organized the communal meal.
“So, we decided to bring joy back to this street, just as it was before the war.”




A woman looks on as Palestinians gather for a communal iftar, or fast-breaking meal, on the first day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, amid building rubble in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on March 1, 2025. (AFP)

As the crowd sat down to eat, uncertainty loomed over the next stages of the Gaza ceasefire, the first phase of which was drawing to a close on Saturday after largely bringing an end to more than 15 months of fighting.

A second stage is supposed to pave the way for a more permanent end to the war, but negotiations have so far been inconclusive.

Music wafted from loudspeakers through the crowd in Rafah, who sat on a long row of plastic chairs under bunting, Palestinian flags and lights strung between the broken concrete.




People gather for the iftar, or fast-breaking meal, on the first day of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan in Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip on March 1, 2025 by the rubble of collapsed buildings that were destroyed during the war between Israel and Hamas, amid the ongoing truce. (AFP)

The war sparked by Palestinian militant group Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel has left over 69 percent of Gaza’s buildings damaged or destroyed.
Israeli bombardment or fighting has displaced almost the entire population and triggered widespread hunger, according to the United Nations.
The truce that took effect on January 19 has enabled greater aid flows into the devastated Palestinian territory, but hundreds of thousands continue to live in tents, with many camped out in the rubble of their former homes.
“On the first day of Ramadan, we had hoped to return to our houses to break our fast with our families and be together at our homes,” Rafah resident Umm Al-Baraa Habib told AFP.




People arrive for the iftar, or fast-breaking meal, on the first day of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan in Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip on March 1, 2025 by the rubble of collapsed buildings that were destroyed during the war between Israel and Hamas, amid the ongoing truce. (AFP)

“But this is God’s will, and we remain steadfast,” she added.

In the northern city of Beit Lahia, dozens defiantly joined together in the fading evening light to break the fast among the remnants of half-collapsed buildings.
“We are here in the midst of destruction and rubble and we are steadfast despite the pain and our wounds,” said Mohammed Abu Al-Jidyan.
“Here we are eating Iftar on our land and we will not leave this place,” he added.
United States President Donald Trump has floated an idea for a US takeover of Gaza under which its Palestinian population would be relocated — a proposal met with global condemnation.




Palestinians break their fast by eating the Iftar meals during the holy month of Ramadan, near the rubble of buildings, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, March 1, 2025. (REUTERS)

Before the break of dawn in the southern city of Khan Yunis, fluorescent pink, yellow and blue lights illuminated a largely war-destroyed neighborhood where a small crowd had gathered for the Suhur meal, eaten ahead of fasting.
A mural reading “Ramadan brings us together” with a crescent moon was painted onto one of the walls left standing.
The day before young people had hung colorful Ramadan lanterns, flags and decorations between the rubble, while vendors displayed balloons and toys for children.
But the usual joy of the Muslim holy month has brought little hope to many of Gaza’s war displaced.
“My children sometimes ask me for clothes and food, but I can’t provide for them because I have been out of work for a year and a half,” said Omar Al-Madhoun, a resident of the hard-hit Jabalia camp in north Gaza.
“We sit among the destruction, not knowing how to manage our lives. We also fear that the war will return, bringing even more destruction,” he told AFP on Friday, the day the start of Ramadan was announced.
Hamas’s attack on Israel that began the Gaza war resulted in the deaths of 1,218 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally of official figures.
Israel’s retaliation has killed 48,388 people in Gaza, a majority of them civilians, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory whose figures the UN has deemed reliable.
The first phase of the truce has seen Hamas free 25 living hostages and return the bodies of eight others to Israel in exchange for more than 1,700 Palestinian prisoners.
 

 


Civilians and aid operations bare brunt of drone strikes in Sudan’s Kordofan

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Civilians and aid operations bare brunt of drone strikes in Sudan’s Kordofan

  • At least 77 people killed and dozens injured in various attacks in Kordofan, mostly by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces
  • Residents say RSF drone strikes are taking place almost daily around the two key cities of Kadugli and Dilling
CAIRO: A surge in drone strikes in the Sudanese region of Kordofan has taken a growing toll on civilians and hampered aid operations, analysts and humanitarian workers said Wednesday, as the war in Sudan nears the three-year mark.
At least 77 people were killed and dozens injured in various attacks, mostly by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, in densely populated areas, according to Sudan Doctors Network, a group that tracks violence through the war. Many of the victims were civilians.
The conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese military erupted into a full-blown war in April 2023. So far, at least 40,000 people have been killed and 12 million displaced, according to the World Health Organization. Aid groups say the true toll could be many times higher, as the fighting in vast and remote areas impedes access.
The military increased its use of drones and airstrikes in Kordofan over the past year as the conflict shifted westward, making the region “a primary theater of operations,” said Jalale Getachew Birru, senior analyst for East Africa at the nonprofit Armed Conflict Location & Event Data, ACLED.
Two weeks ago, the military said it broke the RSF siege of Kadugli, the capital of South Kordofan province, and the neighboring town of Dilling after more than two years.
However, Birru said the sieges were not fully broken. “These cities are still encircled, and the fight for the control of these cities and the wider region is ongoing,” he told The Associated Press.

Daily drone strikes

Walid Mohamed, a resident of Kadugli, told the AP that breaking the siege allowed more goods and medicines to enter the city, reopening the corridor with Dilling and driving down food prices after a dire humanitarian situation unfolded there. However, he said RSF drone strikes have since occurred almost daily, mainly targeting hospitals, markets and homes.
Omran Ahmed, a resident of Dilling, also said drone strikes had increased, “spreading fear and terror among residents as they see more civilians become victims.”
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Wednesday sounded the alarm that drone strikes killed more than 50 civilians over two days this week.
“These latest killings are yet another reminder of the devastating consequences on civilians of the escalating use of drone warfare in Sudan,” said Türk, condemning the attacks on civilian sites including markets, health facilities and schools.
UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said there was evidence that both sides had used drones against civilians in this week’s attacks.
“These civilians have been at one time or another in government-controlled areas and areas controlled by the RSF, which would make us believe that both sides are using them,” he said.
Two military officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to brief the media, told the AP this week that the army doesn’t target civilian infrastructure.
A UN convoy reached Dilling and Kadugli with aid for more than 130,000 people, the first major delivery in three months, United Nations agencies said Wednesday. However, aid workers are concerned about escalating violence.
Mathilde Vu, an advocacy manager with the Norwegian Refugee Council told the AP there’s “huge concern” about the “unacceptable” escalation in Kordofan and that it could “shatter lives and obstruct any hope to reverse the famine/ starvation” in the region.
“It’s very indiscriminate. Between Kordofan, Darfur and the east (Sennar), it’s now every other day we receive messages like ‘drone attack here, hit a civilian infrastructure, killed people,’” Vu said.

Kordofan battlefront shifts

Much of the recent fighting in Sudan has been centered in Kordofan, where the army wants to create a route into the neighboring region of Darfur, Kholood Khair, founding director of Confluence Advisory, a think tank, told the AP.
El-Fasher city, the capital of North Darfur, was the army’s last stronghold in the region but fell to the RSF in October. Its recapture could allow the army to restore important supply and logistic lines between Kordofan and Darfur.
Meanwhile, the RSF wants to create a route out of Kordofan, back to the center of the country and the capital, Khartoum, Khair said.
Both the military and the RSF have used drones, especially in North Kordofan. Civilians have been hard-hit.
Last year, 163 air and drone strikes across the country targeted civilians, killing 1,032 people, according to ACLED data. The army reportedly carried out 83 strikes that caused 568 deaths, while the RSF conducted 66 strikes that killed 288 people.
Both sides have stepped up their use of drones in Kordofan over the past few weeks, according to Federico Donelli, associate professor of international relations at the University of Trieste.
Donelli said several factors are driving the increase, including the army’s acquisition of new weapons and drones manufactured and supplied by foreign actors.
“This has enabled the army to rely more heavily on precision strikes, mirroring tactics that the Rapid Support Forces have been using for some time,” he said,
Both sides may be struggling to maintain troop strength, he said. “Consequently, drones are favored over deploying armed units on the ground, particularly in contested areas such as Kordofan.”
Khair, from Confluence Advisory, said the fighting in Kordofan could shift in the upcoming period, with the army potentially seeking to push into Darfur, particularly toward el-Fasher, where war crimes have been reported.
“We expect to see the bombing campaigns not only continue but increase in frequency and volume,” she said.