Roma reach Europa League last 16 as 10-man Ajax scrape through

Roma's Paulo Dybala (21) celebrates with teammates after scoring a goal during the Europa League playoff second leg soccer match between Roma and Porto at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, Italy, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 21 February 2025
Follow

Roma reach Europa League last 16 as 10-man Ajax scrape through

PARIS: Paulo Dybala scored twice as Roma beat Porto on Thursday to clinch a place in the last 16 of the Europa League, while Ajax clawed through in extra time despite playing a man down for 95 minutes.
Spanish forward Samu Aghehowa gave Porto the lead against Roma after a 1-1 draw in Portugal last week, but two quick-fire goals from Dybala turned the tie in favor of the 2023 runners-up.
Porto were reduced to 10 men when Canada midfielder Stephen Eustaquio was sent off early in the second half, and Niccolo Pisilli struck what proved to be the crucial third goal for Claudio Ranieri’s men.
Devyne Rensch turned into his own net deep into added time as Roma progressed 4-3 on aggregate.
“Having a champion like Dybala means a lot. He’s extraordinary; he says very little, but he is a leader and always says the right things,” Ranieri told Sky Sport.
Roma will find out whether they play Athletic Bilbao or city rivals Lazio in the next round when the draw for the last 16 is conducted on Friday.
“We have a huge opportunity in Europe. This competition can give us a lot this year,” said Dybala.
Four-time European champions Ajax survived a huge scare against close neighbors Union Saint-Gilloise of Belgium, nearly squandering a 2-0 advantage from a week ago.
Kevin Mac Allister’s header halved the deficit and Promise David tucked away a penalty after Ajax captain Davy Klaassen was dismissed in the 25th minute for a deliberate handball.
But Kenneth Taylor’s spot-kick in extra time was enough to put Ajax through 3-2 on aggregate.
Jose Mourinho, a former winner of the competition with Porto and Manchester United, saw his Fenerbahce side go through 5-2 overall after a 2-2 draw away to Anderlecht in a match that was delayed in the first half by crowd trouble.
Real Sociedad thrashed Midtjylland 7-3 on aggregate after a 5-2 win in San Sebastian. The Spaniards will take on United or Tottenham in the last 16.

Norwegian champions Bodo/Glimt overturned a first leg deficit against Dutch side Twente with a dramatic 5-2 win after extra time in the Arctic Circle to progress 6-4 on aggregate.
The hosts were heading out before striking twice in second-half stoppage time but Twente then levelled the tie and forced extra time with a last-gasp equalizer.
Sondre Brunstad Fet put Bodo/Glimt back ahead in the 111th minute, with a second own goal of the night from Twente sealing qualification for their opponents.
Robbie Keane’s Ferencvaros slid to a 3-0 loss at Viktoria Plzen, falling short after their 1-0 win last Thursday.
AZ Alkmaar eased past Galatasaray 6-3 on aggregate despite conceding a two-goal lead in a 2-2 draw in Turkiye, while Romanians FCSB won 2-0 in Bucharest to complete a 4-1 aggregate win over PAOK of Greece.
In the Conference League, Real Betis moved into the last 16 despite a 1-0 loss in the return leg at home to Gent.
Barcelona loanee Vitor Roque saw red before English defender Archie Brown’s late winner for Gent, but Betis went through 3-1 on aggregate.
The Spaniards will next take on Chelsea or Vitoria Guimaraes, with the draw for the latter stages of the third-tier European competition also set for Friday.
Copenhagen, who are other possible opponents for Chelsea, knocked out Heidenheim 4-3 over two legs after winning the return fixture 3-1 in Germany after extra time.
Irish outfit Shamrock Rovers suffered penalty heartache as Molde prevailed 5-4 in the shootout after the tie ended 1-1. The Norwegians won 1-0 in Dublin after losing the first leg, with a goal from one-time United prospect Magnus Wolff Eikrem.
Panathinaikos crushed Icelandic dreams as Tete’s 95th-minute goal earned the Greeks a 2-0 win over Vikingur Reykjavik in Athens and 3-2 victory overall. Pafos won their all-Cypriot encounter with Omonia Nicosia.
Bosnia’s Borac Banja Luka squeezed past Olimpija Ljubljana 1-0 after a goalless stalemate in Slovenia, with Poland’s Jagiellonia Bialystok and Slovenians Celje moving on as well.


Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

  • Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments
  • Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue

MANCHESTER: Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe has been reminded of his “responsibilities as a participant in English football” after he triggered a storm of criticism for claiming Britain had been “colonized” by immigrants.
But England’s Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments, which were widely condemned by political figures, including British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, and the club’s supporters.
The governing body issued Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities when taking part in media interviews, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
British billionaire Ratcliffe, who owns petrochemicals giant INEOS, made the comments during an interview with Sky News, which aired last week.
“You can’t have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” he said. “I mean, the UK’s been colonized.”
Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue. He later said he was sorry his choice of language had “offended some people.”
Starmer had earlier called for him to apologize, saying “Britain is a proud, tolerant and diverse country.”
United fans, who are proud of the diversity within the team and their supporter base, also condemned his words.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust said the “senior leadership should make inclusion easier, not harder.”
Critics accused Ratcliffe of “hypocrisy,” saying he has chosen to make his home in Monaco to reduce his UK tax bill.
Carrick proud of Man United’s culture
United’s head coach, Michael Carrick, said earlier Friday that the Premier League club was proud of their culture of equality and diversity.
Carrick, who was recently hired as coach until the end of the season, faced the media for the first time since Ratcliffe’s remarks and he was asked for his response.
“Sir Jim has made a statement, and then the club’s made a statement on the back of it so for me to add to that is not my place,” he said. “What I can say is, as I’ve been around this club many, many years, we always make a huge impact globally.
“We’re really proud of the environment and the culture that we’ve got at the club, and equality and diversity and respect for each other is something that we look to carry through every day.”