Pakistan’s foreign minister discusses humanitarian crisis in Gaza with Malaysian counterpart

Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar (second from right) meets his Malaysian counterpart Dato’ Seri Utama Hajji Mohamad bin Hajji Hasan (second from left) on the sidelines of an OIC session in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on August 7, 2024. (PID/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 February 2025
Follow

Pakistan’s foreign minister discusses humanitarian crisis in Gaza with Malaysian counterpart

  • Development takes place amid US President Trump’s controversial comments on relocating Palestinians from Gaza
  • Ishaq Dar expresses support for convening OIC Council of Foreign Ministers meeting to discuss Palestine crisis 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar discussed the humanitarian crisis in Gaza with his Malaysian counterpart and expressed steadfast support for the Palestinian cause on Monday, the foreign office said in a statement, amid calls by US President Donald Trump to relocate people from Gaza to Egypt and Jordan. 

Dar previously spoke to the foreign ministers of Iran and Egypt on Sunday to drum up support for Palestinians in Gaza. His interactions come after last week’s comments by Trump in which he floated the idea of US administration over Gaza, envisioning rebuilding the devastated territory into the “Riviera of the Middle East” after resettling Palestinians elsewhere, namely Egypt and Jordan.

The remarks have prompted global backlash, mostly from Arab countries who have firmly rejected the proposal and insisted on a two-state solution with an independent Palestinian state alongside Israel. 

Dar spoke to Malaysian Foreign Minister Dato’ Seri Utama Hajji Mohamad bin Hajji Hasan over the phone to discuss the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and the overall situation of the Middle East region, the foreign office said. 

“The Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister expressed Pakistan’s steadfast support for the Palestinian people and their just cause,” the statement said. “He also conveyed Pakistan’s support for the convening of an Extraordinary OIC meeting of the Council of Foreign Ministers to discuss this urgent issue.”

The development also takes place ahead of Egypt hosting a summit of Arab nations on Feb. 27 to discuss “the latest serious developments” concerning Palestinian territories, its foreign ministry said on Sunday.

Aid trucks have flooded into Gaza after an uneasy ceasefire between Hamas and Israel began on Jan. 19, raising hopes that the war that led to seismic shifts in the Middle East may be headed toward an end. The truce, however, is fragile. 

Israel has said it won’t agree to a complete withdrawal from Gaza until Hamas’ military and political capabilities are eliminated. Hamas says it won’t hand over the last hostages until Israel removes all troops from the territory.

During the 42-day first phase of the ceasefire, Hamas is gradually releasing 33 Israeli hostages captured during its Oct. 7, 2023, attack that sparked the war in exchange for the release of nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and a flood of humanitarian aid to Gaza. The deal also stipulates that Israeli troops will pull back from populated areas.

In the second phase, all remaining living hostages would be released in return for a complete Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and “sustainable calm.” 


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.