BEIRUT: The US military said it killed a senior operative of Al-Qaeda’s Syria branch in an air strike on northwestern Syria on Thursday.
The area was the stronghold of interim president Ahmed Al-Sharaa’s Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham group before it led the rebel offensive that toppled Bashar Assad in December.
“US Central Command forces conducted a precision air strike in northwest Syria targeting and killing Muhammad Salah Al-Zabir, a senior operative in the terrorist organization Hurras Al-Din, an Al-Qaeda affiliate,” CENTCOM said in a statement.
Britain based-war monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Zabir was killed when the vehicle he was traveling in on the Sarmada-Idlib road was hit by a US drone strike.
The US strike came days after Hurras Al-Din announced its dissolution in line with orders from the interim president.
The Observatory said Hurras Al-Din “announced its dissolution so as not to enter into armed conflict with HTS.”
Sharaa’s faction was Al-Qaeda’s Syria affiliate until it broke ties with the jihadist network in 2016.
The US-based SITE Intelligence Group said Hurras Al-Din was founded in February 2018.
It did not publicly confirm its allegiance to Al-Qaeda until its dissolution announcement on Tuesday.
The United States designated Hurras Al-Din as a “terrorist” organization in 2019 and has offered financial rewards for information on several of its members.
It carried out successive air strikes targeting the group’s leadership in northwestern Syria in August and September last year.
Washington also still blacklists HTS as a “terrorist” group, although it has lifted some of its sanctions against Sharaa’s group since it toppled Assad last year.
US says killed senior Qaeda operative in Syria strike
https://arab.news/p9rnw
US says killed senior Qaeda operative in Syria strike
- “US Central Command forces conducted a precision air strike in northwest Syria targeting and killing Muhammad Salah Al-Zabir,” CENTCOM said
- The US strike came days after Hurras Al-Din announced its dissolution in line with orders from the interim president
Jordan condemns US ambassador remarks on accepting Israel’s West Bank annexation
- The Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it rejects the ambassador’s “absurd and provocative statements”
CAIRO: Jordan condemned Saturday earlier remarks by US envoy to Israel Mike Huckabee, who said it would be acceptable if Israel took control of the entire Middle East, including the West Bank.
Huckabee has suggested that he would not object if Israel were to take most of the Middle East.
The Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it rejects the ambassador’s “absurd and provocative statements,” in a statement published on Petra News Agency.
Ministry spokesman Fouad Majali said the remarks “constitute a violation of diplomatic norms, an infringement on the sovereignty of the region's countries, a blatant breach of international law and the UN Charter.”
Majali also said they contradict diplomatic efforts by the United States and the declared position of US President Donald Trump in rejecting the annexation of the occupied West Bank.
The spokesperson reaffirmed that the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip are occupied Palestinian territories under international law, and that ending Israel’s occupation is a must for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state on all of the occupied Palestinian territory, based on the two-state solution.










