Israel army chief resigns over October 7 ‘failure’

Israeli army Chief of Staff, Herzi Halevi listens to an officer as he visited soldiers during the ongoing ground operation of the Israeli army against Hamas, in a location given as Gaza, in this handout image released in November 2023. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 21 January 2025
Follow

Israel army chief resigns over October 7 ‘failure’

  • Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi said he was stepping down “due to my acknowledgement of responsibility for the (military’s) failure on October 7”
  • Shortly after his announcement, Major General Yaron Finkelman also resigned

JERUSALEM: The head of Israel’s military resigned on Tuesday, taking responsibility for its “failure” to stop Hamas’s October 7 attack, days after a fragile truce took effect following 15 months of war in the Gaza Strip.
In his resignation letter, released by the army, Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi said he was stepping down “due to my acknowledgement of responsibility for the (military’s) failure on October 7,” but added that he was leaving at a time of “significant successes.”
He acknowledged, however, that the goals of the Gaza war “have not all been achieved,” adding the army would “continue to fight to further dismantle Hamas,” bring back the hostages and enable Israelis displaced by militant attacks to return home.
Shortly after his announcement, Major General Yaron Finkelman also resigned. Finkelman headed Israel’s southern military command, which is responsible for Gaza.
Hamas’s attack, the deadliest in Israeli history, resulted in the deaths of 1,210 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally of official Israeli figures.
It sparked a war that has levelled much of Gaza and, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory, killed 46,913, a majority of them civilians, figures the United Nations has said are reliable.
The attack, which also saw 251 people taken hostage, traumatized Israelis and created an unprecedented crisis for the country’s top leadership.
Ninety-one hostages remain in captivity, 34 of whom the military says are dead.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had vowed early in the war to crush Hamas and to bring home all the hostages.
Israeli opposition leader Yair Lapid on Tuesday called on Netanyahu to follow Halevi’s example.
Saying he saluted the military chief for stepping down, Lapid added: “Now, it is time for them to take responsibility and resign — the prime minister and his entire catastrophic government.”
After months of fruitless negotiations, mediators Qatar and the United States announced a ceasefire that took effect Sunday, on the eve of Donald Trump’s inauguration as US president.


Aid mechanisms deployed to fill UN void in Yemen’s Houthi-controlled areas

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Aid mechanisms deployed to fill UN void in Yemen’s Houthi-controlled areas

  • Upcoming donor conference in Jordan seen as pivotal opportunity to re-mobilize international support

ADEN: Humanitarian operations in Yemen are entering a new and more complex phase after the UN was forced to rely on alternative aid-delivery mechanisms in Houthi-controlled areas, following the closure of its offices and the seizure of its assets.

The move has reshaped relief efforts in one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

The shift comes as Amman prepares to host an international donor conference aimed at curbing the rapid deterioration in food security, amid warnings that hunger could spread to millions more people this year.

Recent humanitarian estimates show that about 22.3 million Yemenis — nearly half the population — will require some form of assistance in 2026, an increase of 2.8 million from last year. The rise reflects deepening economic decline and persistent restrictions on humanitarian work in conflict zones.

Aid sources say the UN is reorganizing its operations by transferring responsibility for distributing life-saving assistance to a network of partners, including international and local non-governmental organizations and the International Committee of the Red Cross, which continues to operate in those areas.

The transition aims to ensure continued access to food and medicine for the most vulnerable despite the absence of a direct UN presence, which has been undermined by restrictions imposed by the Houthis.

International agencies are increasingly adopting a “remote management” model to reduce risks to staff and maintain aid flows.

Relief experts caution, however, that this approach brings serious challenges, including limited field oversight and difficulties ensuring aid reaches beneficiaries without interference.

Humanitarian reports warn that operational constraints have already deprived millions of Yemenis of essential assistance at a time of unprecedented food insecurity.

More than 18 million people are suffering from acute hunger, with millions classified at emergency levels under international food security standards.

The upcoming donor conference in Jordan is seen as a pivotal opportunity to re-mobilize international support and address a widening funding gap that threatens to scale back critical humanitarian programs.

Discussions are expected to focus on new ways to deliver aid under security and administrative constraints and on strengthening the role of local partners with greater access to affected communities.

Yemen’s crisis extends beyond food.

The health sector is under severe strain, with about 40 percent of health facilities closed or at risk of closure due to funding shortages.

Women and girls are particularly affected as reproductive health services decline, increasing pregnancy and childbirth-related risks.

The World Health Organization has warned that deteriorating conditions have fueled outbreaks of preventable diseases amid falling immunization rates, with fewer than two-thirds of children receiving basic vaccines.

More than 18,600 measles cases and 188 deaths were recorded last year, while Yemen reported the world’s third-highest number of suspected cholera cases between March 2024 and November 2025.