Zelensky visits south Ukraine front line

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky visited troops fighting on the southern front line in the Zaporizhzhia region, he said Thursday in a post on Telegram. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 12 December 2024
Follow

Zelensky visits south Ukraine front line

  • “Let the HIMARS not fail, let them hit enemy targets,” Zelensky said
  • In a video published on his Telegram channel, he was filmed addressing soldiers in a bunker

KYIV: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky visited troops fighting on the southern front line in the Zaporizhzhia region, he said Thursday in a post on Telegram.
Zelensky said he had visited soldiers from the 27th Rocket Artillery Brigade, dubbed Ukraine’s “HIMARS division” for its use of the US-supplied rockets.
“Thank you for your service and defense of our country and people. Let the HIMARS not fail, let them hit enemy targets,” Zelensky said.
In a video published on his Telegram channel, he was filmed addressing soldiers in a bunker and awarding some state awards.
Russia has occupied part of the Zaporizhzhia region since the first days of its 2022 invasion, and claims to have annexed the full region.
The regional capital, also called Zaporizhzhia, has been pounded with Russian aerial strikes in recent weeks.
Ukraine’s interior ministry said earlier on Thursday that 11 people had been killed in a missile strike on Tuesday, after rescue workers spent more than 46 hours sifting through rubble for bodies.
Another 22 were wounded in the strike, including a girl aged five.


Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer takes part in a panel discussion in Munich, Germany. (AP file photo)
Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

  • Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30

LONDON: Britain should step up and accelerate its ​defense spending, Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Monday, following a report that the government was considering bringing forward its target to spend 3 percent of economic output on defense.
Britain, which has warned of the risks posed by Russia, said in February 2025 that it would lift annual defense spending to 2.5 percent of the GDP by 2027 and aim for 3 percent in the next Parliament, which is expected to begin after an ‌election due in ‌2029.
The BBC reported that the government was ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029. It said no decision had been taken but the government recognized current plans would not cover rising defense costs.

HIGHLIGHT

The BBC reported that the government is ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029.

Asked whether he would bring the target forward to 2029, Starmer echoed comments he made at the Munich Security Conference, where he said Europe had united to support Ukraine with the supply of weapons and munitions and to strengthen military readiness.
“We need to step up. That means on ‌defense spending, we need to go faster,” ‌Starmer told reporters on Monday. “We’ve obviously made commitments ​already in relation to that, but ‌it goes beyond just how much you spend.”
Latest NATO estimates show ‌that Britain spent 2.3 percent of the GDP on defense in 2024, above the alliance’s 2 percent guideline. But like other European countries, it has faced US pressure to spend more to protect the continent. Struggling with high debt and spending commitments, the government last ‌year cut its international aid budget to fund the hike in defense spending to 2.5 percent of GDP but is yet to publish an investment plan with spending priorities, something that has frustrated the defense industry.
Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30.
Finance Minister Rachel Reeves has struggled to stay on track with her plans to repair the public finances. The BBC said the Finance Ministry was believed to be cautious about the new defense spending proposals.
A government spokesperson said Britain was “delivering ​the largest sustained increase in defense ​spending since the Cold War.”