Lawyers ask the ICC to investigate Tunisia opposition crackdown and migrant abuse

Members of civil society groups and opposition parties carry banners during a protest against Tunisia's President Kais Saied in Tunis, Tunisia. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 24 September 2024
Follow

Lawyers ask the ICC to investigate Tunisia opposition crackdown and migrant abuse

  • It is the second time Tunisian opposition members have sought an ICC probe
  • he request comes less than two weeks before Oct. 6 elections in which Saied is seeking a second term

THE HAGUE, Netherlands: Lawyers and families of jailed Tunisian opposition leaders called on the International Criminal Court on Tuesday to investigate a crackdown on political opposition and the abuse of Black African migrants in the North African country, which has been offered European Union financial support to help rein in migration.
It is the second time Tunisian opposition members have sought an ICC probe. Last year, the families of seven imprisoned politicians asked the court to investigate claims of political persecution and human rights violations by President Kais Saied’s administration.
Lawyers now say they are filing a second request for an investigation following new claims of abuse of migrants and persecution of opposition leaders. The request comes less than two weeks before Oct. 6 elections in which Saied is seeking a second term.
“The new evidence shows that Black African migrants are facing brutal and heartless treatment at the hands of the Tunisian authorities. The ICC has the jurisdiction to investigate these alleged crimes against humanity and should act with the full force of international law to protect those most vulnerable,” lawyer Rodney Dixon said in a statement.
“Countless migrants report similar experiences of arbitrary arrest on land or at sea followed by collective expulsion to desert regions along the border with Algeria and Libya, while being beaten, mistreated, and suffering psychological abuse,” the statement said.
For many sub-Saharan Africans — who don’t need a visa to travel to Tunisia — the North African country serves as a stepping stone to Europe, while others come from Libya, which shares a border with Tunisia.
The ICC’s prosecution office did not immediately respond to an email seeking confirmation that it had received the request. The court’s prosecutors are already investigating allegations of crimes against migrants in Libya including arbitrary detention, unlawful killing, enforced disappearances, torture and sexual and gender-based violence.
Tunisia is a member state of the Hague-based court.
One of the family members seeking ICC action is Elyes Chaouachi, the son of Ghazi Chaouchi, who is the detained former secretary general of the social democratic political party Attayar.
“In Tunisia, the pillars of democracy and human rights are under siege, as autocracy, racism, antisemitism and hate speech rise unchecked. We urge the ICC and the international community to take a stand — support humanity, uphold justice and restore dignity. Our voices for freedom and equality must not go unheard,” Chaouachi said in a statement released by the legal team that filed the request to the court.
Last year, European leaders held out the promise of more than 1 billion euros in financial aid to rescue its teetering economy and better police its borders, in an effort to restore stability to the North African country — and to stem migration from its shores to Europe.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 57 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.