Israeli raid kills 3 Hezbollah men, group hits back with guided missiles

This picture taken from Israel along the border with Lebanon shows smoke billowing above the Lebanese village of Blida amid Israeli bombardment on September 17, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 September 2024
Follow

Israeli raid kills 3 Hezbollah men, group hits back with guided missiles

  • Israeli military reported “targeting a Hezbollah cell in the town of Blida, resulting in the death of three members”
  • Israel says it thwarted Hezbollah operation to assassinate high ranking security official

BEIRUT: Three people were killed and two others injured during an Israeli raid on two houses in the border town of Blida, Lebanon, on Tuesday.

Rescue workers were seen searching through debris in footage shared by activists on social media.

The Israeli military reported “targeting a Hezbollah cell in the town of Blida, resulting in the death of three members.”

The intensity of violent hostilities between Hezbollah and the Israeli army escalated after reports from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office indicating that the security Cabinet approved a decision to expand the war in Lebanon, “with the aim of allowing Israeli settlers in the north to return to their homes.”

This escalation came a day after Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant met with US presidential envoy Amos Hochstein, who delivered a message from the US warning of the “dangers of escalating tensions in Lebanon and the necessity of containing the conflict to avoid a full-scale war.”

But Gallant told Hochstein that “the only viable path to ensure the return of the residents of the north is through a military operation against Hezbollah.”

Netanyahu’s office said he made it clear to Hochstein during their meeting “firmly and decisively that our residents cannot be returned without a fundamental change in the security situation in the north, and Israel appreciates and respects the support of the United States, but will do what is necessary to maintain its security and facilitate the safe return of residents of the north to their homes.”

This escalation coincided with the Israeli military’s announcement regarding what it termed the "foiling of a Hezbollah attempt to assassinate a high ranking security figure using an explosive device,” but it did not specify the location or date of the incident.

The announcement said: “We warned the targeted individual before the explosion. The Shin Bet uncovered the explosive device linked to a remote activation mechanism, which included a camera and a mobile phone intended for activation by Hezbollah from Lebanon.”

It added: “Security assessments indicate that certain elements within Hezbollah were also involved in the preparations related to the Tel Aviv operation in September 2023, and that Hezbollah continues to escalate tensions in the region, leading it toward perilous situations.”

Hezbollah opened the southern front on Oct. 8, 2023, to support “the resistance in the Gaza Strip against the Israeli army.”

Since then, the militant group has had daily confrontations on the borders with the Israeli army, which several times breached the rules of engagement.

Hostilities reached areas deep inside Lebanon and northern Israel, leading to the death of more than 650 people on the Lebanese side, the majority of whom were Hezbollah cadres and members, in addition to civilians, paramedics and media personalities.

More than 110,000 people fled border villages to other towns deep inside Lebanon, as Israeli raids and bombings destroyed thousands of houses and infrastructure in the border region.

Media reports in Beirut quoted a source close to Hezbollah on Tuesday, saying that “any Israeli military land operation in southern Lebanon will not be a mere promenade and will cost heavily.”

The source added: “Israelis know that there are many obstacles facing any land operation. Nevertheless, Hezbollah is ready for any scenario and will deal with any bad option.”

The ball is in Israel’s court, the source said, “as it continues its violations of the Lebanese airspace and its occupation of the Kfarchouba Hills and the Shebaa Farms.”

Hezbollah increased the intensity of its operations against Israeli military outposts in the past 24 hours, on Tuesday targeting “Israeli soldiers in the Karantina Hill,” according to its official statements.

On Monday night and Tuesday morning it also targeted  “a gathering of soldiers in the Al-Abad site with a guided missile,” in addition to “buildings used by the enemy’s soldiers in the Manara settlement.”

The militant group also hit “several Israeli vehicles in the Ramiyah outpost with a guided missile.” At the time a support force entered the area, it was targeted by Hezbollah “with artillery missiles, causing confirmed hits.”

Philippe Lazzarini, head of the UN agency UNRWA, said: “We should always be ready for the worst, although we are hopeful that the worst won’t happen.

“The situation is really worrying.”

Lazzarini visited Nabih Berri, speaker in Lebanon’s Parliament, Prime Minster Najib Mikati, and Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib and discussed the issues confronting UNRWA, which “faces financial challenges.”

He said there are calls for UNRWA’s dismantlement, and that pressure is being exerted by the Israeli Knesset in this direction. “Not a day goes by without UNRWA facilities and employees being targeted.”


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 57 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.