Older generations more likely to fall for AI-generated fake news, Global AI Summit hears

All of the panelists said that educating people is the key to finding the best way forward regarding the role of AI in the media. (AN/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 September 2024
Follow

Older generations more likely to fall for AI-generated fake news, Global AI Summit hears

  • Semafor co-founder Ben Smith says he is ‘much more worried about Gen X and older people’ falling for misinformation than younger generations

RIYADH: Media experts are concerned that older generations are more susceptible to AI-generated deep fakes and misinformation than younger people, the audience at the Global AI Summit in Riyadh heard on Tuesday.

“I am so much more worried about Gen X (those born between 1965 and 1980) and older people,” Semafor co-founder and editor-in-chief Ben Smith said during a panel titled “AI and the Future of Media: Threats and Opportunities.”

He added: “I think that young people, for better and for worse, really have learned to be skeptical, and to immediately be skeptical, of anything they’re presented with — of images, of videos, of claims — and to try to figure out where they’re getting it.”

Smith was joined during the discussion, moderated by Arab News Editor-in-Chief Faisal Abbas, by the vice president and editor-in-chief of CNN Arabic, Caroline Faraj, and Anthony Nakache, the managing director of Google MENA.




Semafor co-founder and editor-in-chief Ben Smith.

They said that AI, as a tool, is too important not to be properly regulated. In particular they highlighted its potential for verification of facts and content creation in the media industry, but said educating people about its uses is crucial.

“We have always been looking at how we can build AI in a very safe and responsible way,” said Nakache, who added that Google is working with governments and agencies to figure out the best way to go about this.

The integration of AI into journalism requires full transparency, the panelists agreed. Faraj said the technology offers a multifunctional tool that can be used for several purposes, including data verification, transcription and translation. But to ensure a report contains the full and balanced truth, a journalist will still always be needed to confirm the facts using their professional judgment.

The panelists also agreed that AI would not take important jobs from humans in the industry, as it is designed to complete repetitive manual tasks, freeing up more of a journalist’s time to interact with people and their environment.

“Are you really going to use AI go to a war zone and to the front line to cover stories? Of course not,” said Faraj.




Vice president and editor-in-chief of CNN Arabic, Caroline Faraj.

Smith, who has written a book on news sites and viral content, warned about the unethical ways in which some media outlets knowingly use AI-generated content because they “get addicted” to the traffic such content can generate.

All of the panelists said that educating people is the key to finding the best way forward regarding the role of AI in the media. Nakache said Google has so far trained 20,000 journalists in the region to better equip them with knowledge of how to use digital tools, and funds organizations in the region making innovative use of technology.

“It is a collective effort and we are taking our responsibility,” he added.




Anthony Nakache, the managing director of Google MENA.

The panelists also highlighted some of the methods that can be used to combat confusion and prevent misinformation related to the use of AI, including the use of digital watermarks and programs that can analyze content and inform users if it was AI-generated.

Asked how traditional media organizations can best teach their audiences how to navigate the flood of deep fakes and misinformation, while still delivering the kind of content they want, Faraj said: “You listen to them. We listen to our audience and we hear exactly what they wanted to do and how we can enable them.

“We enable them and equip them with the knowledge. Sometimes we offer training, sometimes we offer listening; but listening is a must before taking any action.”


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.