Pakistani forces kill seven militants in country’s restive southwest

Pakistan’s paramilitary rangers inspect a passenger van at a checkpoint a day after attacks by separatist militants on the outskirts of Quetta on August 27, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 07 September 2024
Follow

Pakistani forces kill seven militants in country’s restive southwest

  • The development comes nearly two weeks after deadly separatist attacks killed more than 50 people in Balochistan
  • PM Shehbaz Sharif appreciates security personnel for successful operation against militants in Balochistan’s Kalat

QUETTA: Pakistani forces have gunned down seven militants in the country’s southwestern Balochistan province, the military and counterterrorism officials said on Saturday, nearly two weeks after deadly attacks in the restive region.
Baloch separatist militants hit several civil and military targets in a string of coordinated attacks in Balochistan on August 25, killing more than 50 people. Balochistan, which shares its border with Iran and Afghanistan, has been the scene of a low-level insurgency by separatist militants for the last two decades.
On the night of Sept. 6-7, security forces conducted an intelligence-based operation in Balochistan’s Kalat district on reported presence of militants, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the Pakistani military’s media wing. During the operation, two militants were killed.
“Weapons, ammunition and explosives were also recovered from the killed terrorists, who remained actively involved in numerous terrorist activities in the area against security forces as well as the innocent civilians,” the ISPR said in a statement. “Sanitization operation is underway to neutralize any other terrorist present in the area.”
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif appreciated security personnel for the successful operation against militants in Kalat.
“Pakistan will continue the war against terrorism till its complete eradication from the country,” he said in a statement. “The entire nation, including me, is proud of the brave officers and soldiers of the security forces participating in the war against terrorism.”
Majority of Aug. 25 attacks in Balochistan were claimed by the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), the most prominent of separatist groups operating in the province that is home to key China-led infrastructure projects, including a port and a gold-copper mine.
The separatists accuse the central government of exploiting Balochistan’s mineral and gas resources. The Pakistani state denies the allegation, asserting it is working to uplift the region through development initiatives.
Earlier in the day, the Counterterrorism Department (CTD) of the Balochistan police announced it had killed five militants of the proscribed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in a shootout in Surkhab area of the Pishin district on Friday night.
“Five terrorists belonging the banned TTP were killed during an exchange of fire between the CTD personnel and the terrorists,” a CTD official, who did not want to be named, told Arab News. “A cache of arms and explosives, including hand grenades, improvised explosive devices and a motorbike were seized from their compound.”
The official further said one of the militants belonged to Spin Boldak, a border town in Afghanistan close to Pakistan’s southwestern city of Chaman.
Islamabad has blamed a number of recent attacks in Pakistan’s western regions on militants operating out of neighboring Afghanistan. Kabul denies the allegation and says rising violence in Pakistan is a domestic issue for Islamabad.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”