Tunisian candidate Zammel detained hours after release

1 / 2
Tunisian presidential candidate Ayachi Zammel. (X: @ZammelAyachi)
2 / 2
A demonstrator carries a banner during a protest demanding the implementation of a ruling by the administrative court to reinstate three other prominent candidates in the presidential race. (REUTERS/File Photo )
Short Url
Updated 06 September 2024
Follow

Tunisian candidate Zammel detained hours after release

  • Ayachi Zammel is one of three candidates approved by Tunisia’s electoral commission to run in a presidential election on Oct. 6
  • Zammel campaign member Mahdi Abdel Jawad described his arrest as a kidnapping

TUNIS: Tunisian presidential candidate Ayachi Zammel was placed in custody shortly after being released from pretrial detention on suspicion of forging ballot signatures, his lawyer said on Friday.
Zammel, 43, is one of only two candidates approved by the electoral authority, ISIE, to challenge President Kais Saied in the Oct. 6 poll.
A court in Manouba, west of Tunis, ordered his temporary release late on Thursday after he spent four days in detention, said his lawyer Abdessatar Messaoudi.
But shortly afterward, Zammel was arrested again and placed in custody in Jendouba, about 150 km away, over the same suspicions “related to ballot signatures, Messaoudi added.
The lawyer said he is due to appear before a judge in Jendouba on Wednesday.

BACKGROUND

A little-known businessman and former parliamentarian, Ayachi Zammel headed Azimoun, a small liberal party, until late August when he resigned to run as an independent.

Messaoudi said 25 active cases involving signature collectors for Zammel’s campaign were ongoing, though it was unclear if Zammel would be investigated in all of them.
A little-known businessman and former parliamentarian, Zammel headed Azimoun, a small liberal party, until late August when he resigned to run as an independent.
His arrest on Monday came hours before ISIE released a final list of presidential candidates, which included Zammel, Saied, and former parliamentarian Zouhair Maghzaoui.
The list excluded three other hopefuls despite court rulings granting them appeals after their initial rejection by ISIE.
These were Imed Daimi, an adviser to former president Moncef Marzouki, former minister Mondher Zenaidi, and opposition party leader Abdellatif Mekki.
Experts say they had a chance of winning against Saied.
Saied, the frontrunner, came to power in 2019 but staged a sweeping power grab in 2021 and has ruled by decree since then.
On Thursday, the EU said Zammel’s arrest and the exclusion of the three candidates demonstrated “a continued limitation of the democratic space” in Tunisia, which sparked the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings.
“The rule of law and respect for the separation of powers are at the heart of democratic values, as are electoral rights and the right to a fair trial,” the EU said.
Human Rights Watch says at least eight prospective candidates have been “prosecuted, convicted or imprisoned” before the election.
The group said ISIE “has intervened to skew the ballot in favor of Saied,” adding: “Holding elections amid such repression makes a mockery of Tunisians’ right to participate in free and fair elections.”

 


UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.

“We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.

The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.

Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures. The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.