TUNIS: A petition signed by prominent Tunisians and civil society groups was published on Saturday urging that rejected candidates be allowed to stand in the October 6 presidential election.
Signed by 26 groups including Legal Agenda, Lawyers Without Borders and the Tunisian Human Rights League, it welcomed an administrative court decision this week to reinstate three candidates who had been disqualified.
They are Imed Daimi, who was an adviser to former president Moncef Marzouki, former minister Mondher Zenaidi and opposition party leader Abdellatif Mekki.
The three were among 14 candidates barred by the Tunisian election authority, ISIE, from standing in the election.
If they do take part, they will join former parliamentarian Zouhair Maghzaoui and businessman Ayachi Zammel in challenging incumbent President Kais Saied, whom critics accuse of authoritarianism.
Saied was democratically elected in 2019 but orchestrated a sweeping power grab in 2021.
A number of his political opponents and critics are currently in jail or being prosecuted.
Saturday’s petition was also signed by more than 180 civil society figures including Wahid Ferchichi, dean of the public law faculty at Carthage University.
It called the administrative court “the only competent authority to adjudicate disputes related to presidential election candidacies.”
The petition referred to statements by ISIE head Farouk Bouasker, who on Thursday indicated that the authority will soon meet to finalize the list of candidates, “taking into consideration judicial judgments already pronounced.”
This has been interpreted as suggesting the ISIE may reject new candidacies if they are the subject of legal proceedings or have convictions.
The administrative court’s rulings on appeals “are enforceable and cannot be contested by any means whatsoever,” the petition said.
It called on the electoral authority to “respect the law and avoid any practice that could undermine the transparency and integrity of the electoral process.”
Last week, Human Rights Watch said Tunisian authorities “have prosecuted, convicted or imprisoned at least eight prospective candidates” for October’s vote.
HRW said that the North African country was “gearing up for a presidential election amid increased repression of dissent and free speech, without crucial checks and balances on President Saied’s power.”
Tunisia groups urge inclusion of rejected candidates in poll
https://arab.news/p58ej
Tunisia groups urge inclusion of rejected candidates in poll
FIFA president Infantino celebrates in Beirut after receiving a Lebanese passport
- Infantino is married to Lebanese citizen Lina Al-Ashkar
- He also has Italian and Swiss citizenship
BEIRUT: FIFA President Gianni Infantino received his Lebanese passport at the Interior Ministry in Beirut on Monday, months after he was granted citizenship by the country’s president.
Infantino, who is married to Lebanese citizen Lina Al-Ashkar, thanked President Joseph Aoun when he received him Monday for granting him and his family Lebanese citizenship.
The meeting with Aoun took place after Infantino visited the Interior Ministry where her performed the official process of filing documents, being photographed and having his fingerprints taken before he was handed a copy of his new blue Lebanese passport.
Infantino also has Italian and Swiss citizenship.
“I’m very proud and very happy to be here in Beirut at the Ministry of Interior to finally get my Lebanese passport,” Infantino said in a video carried by local TV stations. “I love Lebanon.”
According to Lebanese law, Lebanese women cannot pass their citizenship on to their foreign husbands and children. In Infantino’s case, he got the citizenship because Aoun granted it to him.
On the contrary, Lebanese men married to foreign women automatically pass their nationality to their children while their wives take it after a certain period of time that follows the marriage.
FIFA is the international soccer governing body.










