Hamas says it rejects new Israeli conditions in Gaza ceasefire talks

A mourner reacts over bodies of Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes, amid the Israel-Hamas conflict, at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir Al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip, August 25, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 25 August 2024
Follow

Hamas says it rejects new Israeli conditions in Gaza ceasefire talks

  • Months of on-off talks have failed to produce an agreement to end Israel’s devastating military campaign in the Palestinian enclave

CAIRO: Hamas said on Sunday that it rejects new Israeli conditions put forward in Gaza ceasefire talks, casting further doubt on the chances of a breakthrough in the latest US-backed effort to end the 10-month-old war.
Months of on-off talks have failed to produce an agreement to end Israel’s devastating military campaign in Gaza or free the remaining hostages seized by Hamas in the militant group’s Oct. 7 attack on Israel that triggered the war.
Key sticking points in ongoing talks mediated by the United States, Egypt and Qatar include an Israeli presence in the so-called Philadelphi Corridor, a narrow 14.5 km-long (nine-mile) stretch of land along Gaza’s southern border with Egypt.
Hamas said Israel has backtracked on a commitment to withdraw troops from the Corridor and put forward other new conditions, including the screening of displaced Palestinians as they return to the enclave’s more heavily populated north when the ceasefire begins.
“We will not accept discussions about retractions from what we agreed to on July 2 or new conditions,” Hamas official Osama Hamdan told the group’s Al-Aqsa TV on Sunday.
In July, Hamas accepted a US proposal to begin talks on releasing Israeli hostages, including soldiers and men, 16 days after the first phase of an agreement aimed at ending the Gaza war, a senior Hamas source has told Reuters.
Hamdan also said Hamas has handed to mediators its response to the latest proposal, saying US talk of an imminent deal is false.


Lebanon says two killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

Updated 12 min 10 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon says two killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

  • NNA said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp
  • It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded

SIDON: Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country’s largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel’s army saying it had targeted the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The official National News Agency said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.
Lebanon’s health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded.
An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.
The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces “struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated,” calling activity there “a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon” and a threat to Israel.
The Israeli military “is operating against the entrenchment” of the Palestinian militant group in Lebanon and will “continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate,” it added.
Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with the militant group Hezbollah.
Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah’s Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain Al-Helweh last November that killed 13 people.
The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.
In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese militant group.
On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country’s east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.