12-year-old from Gabon shines at Qur’an competition after converting to Islam

Mahdi, a 12-year-old boy from Gabon, and his mentior Zakaria. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 12 August 2024
Follow

12-year-old from Gabon shines at Qur’an competition after converting to Islam

  • Imam’s praise for boy’s extraordinary dedication 

RIYADH: Mahdi, a 12-year-old boy from Gabon, has made a remarkable impression at the 44th King Abdulaziz International Qur’an Competition in Makkah, competing just two years after embracing Islam, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Monday.

Mahdi is currently the only Muslim in his family and his mentor Zakaria, an imam at a nearby mosque, told of his surprise when Mahdi first approached him, accompanied by his younger brother, to express his desire to embrace Islam.

“At first I thought he was joking,” Zakaria admitted, recalling how unexpected it was given Mahdi’s young age.

“I asked if he knew anything about Islam, and he kept insisting that he wanted to follow the religion of Allah. In my heart I said ‘This is a gift from Allah’.”

Zakaria guided Mahdi through the Shahada, the Islamic declaration of faith, and felt profound gratitude for being part of Mahdi’s spiritual journey.

He then began teaching Mahdi the Arabic alphabet, gradually progressing to short Qur’anic surahs (chapters) until Mahdi had memorized a quarter of the Qur’an.

“I noticed how quickly he memorized and understood the Qur’an,” Zakaria said, highlighting that Mahdi was memorizing a page a day just a week after his conversion.

Alongside his Qur’anic studies, Mahdi has also memorized various Islamic texts, showcasing his aptitude for learning.

“He is truly a unique young man, unlike any I have ever seen,” Zakaria said, praising Mahdi’s extraordinary dedication.
 


Suspects identified in killing of French far-right activist: source

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Suspects identified in killing of French far-right activist: source

  • Several suspects have been identified in an investigation into the death of a French far-right activist, including some linked to the “ultra-left movement,” a source following the case told AFP
PARIS: Several suspects have been identified in an investigation into the death of a French far-right activist, including some linked to the “ultra-left movement,” a source following the case told AFP on Tuesday.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died after sustaining a severe brain injury when he was attacked by at least six people last week on the sidelines of a far-right protest against a left-wing politician speaking at a university in the southeastern city of Lyon.
The suspects were not known to authorities as security threats, the source added.