LONDON: British police said they found Wednesday the man suspected of killing the wife and two daughters of a well-known BBC radio commentator near London in a brutal crossbow attack.
In a statement, Hertfordshire Police said 26-year-old Kyle Clifford was found in the Enfield area of north London, near his home, and that he is receiving medical treatment for his injuries. Police did not say how those injuries happened but stressed that they had not fired any shots.
The BBC confirmed that the women killed were members of the family of its commentator John Hunt — his 61-year-old wife Carol Hunt and their daughters Hannah, 28, and Louise, 25.
Footage from Sky News showed the suspect being carried on a stretcher out of Lavender Hill Cemetery in Enfield, which is close to his home and around 52 kilometers (17 miles) to the east from the site of the killings. Armed police officers, forensic personnel and ambulance staff had massed around the cemetery through the day.
The public had been urged not to approach Clifford, who the BBC reported had been in the British Army for a brief period of service in 2022.
“Following extensive inquiries, the suspect has been located and nobody else is being sought in connection with the investigation at this time,” said Detective Inspector Justine Jenkins from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit.
“This continues to be an incredibly difficult time for the victims’ family and we would ask that their privacy is respected as they come to terms with what has happened,” she added.
Jenkins said the investigation is moving “at pace” and that formal identification of the victims is yet to take place. She also said that the “premature” naming of the victims “caused great upset.”
Police had been scouring a park in north London, near the home of Clifford, after being alerted Tuesday about the killings in a house in Bushey, a residential area in northwestern London. Police and ambulance crews tried to save them, but they were pronounced dead at the scene.
John Hunt is the main racing commentator for BBC 5 Live, the corporation’s main news and sports radio channel. His voice is known to millions through his coverage of the world famous Grand National and The Derby.
A colleague of Hunt’s and BBC 5 Live’s lead presenter Mark Chapman struggled to hold back the tears as he expressed everyone’s shock and pain.
“We have a football match to bring you tonight ... and we will start our buildup to it shortly but this has been a heartbreaking day,” he said as he opened Wednesday’s coverage on 5 Live of England’s semifinal match against The Netherlands in soccer’s European Championship.
“John Hunt is our colleague and our friend, not just to the current 5 Live sport team but to all of those who’ve worked here with him over the past 20 years, and also to all of you who have enjoyed his superb commentaries,” Chapman said. “So on behalf of everyone connected to 5 Live Sport, our love and thoughts and support are with John and his family.”
The Daily Mail newspaper and others reported that Hunt found the bodies early Tuesday evening, after returning home from reporting at Lingfield Park racecourse south of London.
Police did not say how or whether Clifford, who is from London, was connected to the women, but British media had reported that he was an ex-boyfriend of one of the daughters.
Chief Superintendent Jon Simpson suggested the attack was not random and that the suspect knew the family.
Local council member Laurence Brass, who lives nearby, described the area as “a typical leafy British suburb” as he recounted his experience from the previous night.
“At about eight o’clock last night, I was watching the football on television, and suddenly a helicopter landed in the lawn outside my flat, which is at the top of this road, and then my phone started going, and I was told that there was a major incident here in Bushey and we should all keep away because there was somebody apparently on the run,” he told the BBC.
Britain’s new home secretary, Yvette Cooper, was kept “fully informed” about the “truly shocking” incident.
People in Britain do not need a license to own a crossbow, but it is illegal to carry one in public without a reasonable excuse.
A spokesperson for the Home Office said Cooper will “swiftly consider” the findings from a recently launched review into whether further controls on crossbows should be introduced.
Man suspected of killing the family of BBC radio commentator has been found, British police say
https://arab.news/wxb7j
Man suspected of killing the family of BBC radio commentator has been found, British police say
- Kyle Clifford, 26, from north London, is wanted in connection with the deaths of the three women in the town of Bushey
- Local police said officers were called to a house in the town where the three women were pronounced dead at the scene
German drone deal under scrutiny over Thiel stake in start-up
- Dietmar Bartsch of the far-left Die Linke called for halting the deal
- The proposed contracts have an initial combined value of $630m
BERLIN: A major proposed combat drone deal for Germany’s military is facing scrutiny from lawmakers worried about US tech billionaire Peter Thiel’s involvement in one of the defense start-ups.
Contracts for Berlin-based Stark Defense, where Thiel holds a stake, and Munich-based Helsing to supply the attack drones will come before parliament’s budget committee next week.
Greens MP Sara Nanni, a security policy spokeswoman for her party, told AFP on Thursday that the controversial right-wing billionaire’s influence raises possible problems.
The strategic importance of the deal means that investor-related risks need to be carefully vetted, she said, adding that “I have to take a very close look at it.”
The German-born Thiel, a co-founder of tech firms PayPal and Palantir and a key early investor in Facebook, is a close confidante of US President Donald Trump.
His right-wing libertarian views and outspoken skepticism of liberal democracies have made him a highly polarizing figure.
Dietmar Bartsch of the far-left Die Linke called for halting the deal, arguing to AFP that paying billions to a firm sponsored by “an avowed opponent of liberal democracies is unacceptable.”
Defense Minister Boris Pistorius, a Social Democrat (SPD), also expressed reservations when he said Tuesday that, before awarding the contract to Stark Defense, it must be clarified “what influence Mr.Thiel actually has.”
The proposed contracts have an initial combined value of 536 million euros ($630 million) but include options that could expand the value into the billions.
The chairman of parliament’s defense committee, conservative MP Thomas Roewekamp, largely dismissed concerns about Thiel in comments to the RND news network.
The “small stake held by an American investor” is only of “minor importance,” he said, adding that the drones are urgently needed, particularly to defend German troops deployed to NATO’s eastern flank in Lithuania.
Roewekamp said there remained “open questions regarding the price, the quantity and the technical capabilities” of the drones — but that those issues can be resolved “through the usual parliamentary process.”
Stark Defense declined to disclose details about Thiel’s stake, other than that is remains below 10 percent.
Thiel’s stake does not involve outsized special rights or influence, the company said, and outside access to confidential technical information is regulated by German authorities.
Speaking generally, lawmakers such as Nanni have voiced support for taking risks in order to build up Europe’s tech and defense industries.
“If we don’t want to buy high-tech equipment from the US, then we also have to be prepared to take on more risk,” Nanni told AFP.
SPD MP Andreas Schwarz, a budget and defense policy expert, told AFP there is still broad support in parliament for awarding the drone contracts.
He also noted that Thiel “has stakes in other software companies used by German authorities and NATO.”
But if the defense minister thinks more clarity is need about Thiel’s influence, then “parliament will support him in this,” Schwarz said.










